Used 2008 Toyota Camry Consumer Reviews - 129 Car Reviews | Edmunds

Consumer Reviews

2008 Toyota Camry

View reviews for a specific Camry model:

Camry - Expect Less and Be Happy
By red8xle

2008 Toyota Camry XLE 4dr Sedan (3.5L 6cyl 6A)

Mine is fully factory loaded XLE V6 with even a manual rear shade. I own three Germans (E320, Audi A4, BMW X3), and I expected Camry to be equal or better quality. The rattles inside the dash are too much even at slow speeds along with dealer runaround. The smart key isn't always as smart as it's supposed to be. And, the GPS - save your money, buy a Nuvi, Magellan or even a cheap one at the Shack. The GPS directions cannot be modified unless you come to a complete stop, not even by the passenger. That's one $1200 annoyance. Overall interior finish appears and feels cheap. Passenger power seat stays too low and short persons don't like riding in it. A good road car, not for city driving.

Smart Key, GPS screen size, Bluetooth, Steering Wheel controls, bright fog lights, JBL, reclining rear seats, 16 inch tires (saves money) and decent gas mileage. Good turning radius for a front wheel drive. Interior (cabin) space is excellent. Plasmatronic ionic air cleaner is a great idea.

Better dashboard design to eliminate internal noise, improve road feel at slow speeds, add brighter lighting in trunk, and make remote start and XM/Sirius standard. Provide cover for dark gray foam inserts below front door hinges - it looks tacky. Add mud flaps standard, front and back.

Disappointing
By Georgesparks

2008 Toyota Camry SE 4dr Sedan (2.4L 4cyl 5M)

Smooth ride but headrest is so uncomfortable I had to reverse it. Dash control background is black - looks like a black hole in many situations. Somehow, I can never get the seat position 'perfect' to be comfortable. I wish speedometer was labeled in 10 mph increments, its very easy to go faster than you thought and get a ticket. A pain to reach for seat belt - it manages to get stuck behind door frame somehow. 5 speed is a dream to drive, shifts perfectly. Great car with minor but continual small irritations.

Smooth ride. Well built vehicle.

See above. Fix headrest, change dashboard controls background color, label speedo in 10 mph increments. I would love an aux. arm rest pad for center console.

Not Impressed
By kern

2008 Toyota Camry LE 4dr Sedan (2.4L 4cyl 5A)

I bought this car used with only 15k miles on it. Previous lease and all oil changes were done at the dealer. Still had the new car smell. My previous car was over 11 yrs old so I think I was just in awe of having something newer. But after 3 wks of ownership, I am a bit disappointed. I have not made my first payment yet and the car needs a complete brake job, rotors and all. That is pretty disturbing for only 16k miles. Dome light is no longer working for some reason and I also noticed the trans slip that everyone is talking about. I dismissed it because my last car was a 6 cy. Thought I just had to get used to a 4 again. Now I see its not me, its the car.

The MP3 jack, Roomy interior

Change the trans design and provide a better braking system. What happened to the Toyota quality that I have always heard about?

Wouldn't buy it again
By CamaryDriver

2008 Toyota Camry SE 4dr Sedan (2.4L 4cyl 5A)

I've had this car for 23 months. I wouldn't by this car again. The "drive by wire" transmission is un-even, unpredictable and sluggish if you try to punch it from 10 to 45 MPH. Between 35 to 45 it shifts up and down seemingly at random. The gas pedal is touchy. The driver comfort is poor. There are two unusable compartments on the console. There rear has two tiny coffee cup holders in a drop down center rest. The ride is noisy even after trying 3 sets of tires. The steering is mushy. The side and rear view mirror are magnified to make every car look like it's right on top of you. There is no joy or thrill in this car. My recommendation is not to buy this car.

I get a solid 29 MPG on a 100 mile daily round trip comute.

Fix the transmission. Fix the accelerator touchy response.

Warranty isn't worth the paper wrote w/
By Chelle

2008 Toyota Camry LE 4dr Sedan (2.4L 4cyl 5M)

My 2008 Camry has been consuming oil it a serious extent, took to dealership they tear down my motor, tell me to bring receipts of oil changes to turn in on the extended warranty. Did that from the body shop it was changed in. Now the dealership doesn't want to fix the car and didn't even turn in my receipts for the warranty to cover the damage to the car. Carbon build up apparently means lack of oil change to them but to everyone who knows better its a common build up form low grade fuel, or rich air/fuel mixture. Watch your car and your dealership, they are border line criminals they way they try to justify making there money they are a joke and will go to court and be made to fix car!

didn't research cars before i bought one. bought a Toyota on hearing "you can't beat a Toyota" from everyone. they were wrong since day one leaving the lot had problems, cd player tore up first day, oil consumption for no reason, not a very good car, poor dealership

inspect the cars better when you send them down the line and before it makes it way to a dealership for someone to sink a lot of money into a bucket of bolts. the warranties aren't worth the paper or ink it took to print it! would not suggest Toyota to anyone for a good car