Used 2004 Toyota Camry Sedan Consumer Reviews - 313 Car Reviews | Edmunds

Consumer Reviews

2004 Toyota Camry Sedan

View reviews for a specific Camry model:

Thumbs up Toyota
By Patty

2004 Toyota Camry Sedan LE 4dr Sedan (2.4L 4cyl 5M)

Hi folks I just wanted you all to know that when Toyota built this car they did it right with crashes. My 18 yr old was in a rollover, it rolled three times and she walked away with 6 stitches in her left hand and the inside was unharmed. The outside however did what it was designed to do, it broke away from the driver. Thank you Toyota for a well made car. I will be looking for a new one just like this one.

This car was a good buy for my family and me. I also like the large opening of the trunk.

None keep up the good work

2004 Totyota Camry Beware
By Dan

2004 Toyota Camry Sedan LE 4dr Sedan (2.4L 4cyl 5M)

I started experiencing shifting problems, but the dealer couldn't fix it. While turning on a busy 4 lane highway, the transmission went out. I do not abuse this car (I am too old to beat any car up). Now I have a $4000 bill for a new transmission. I have found out that this has been a problem for other owners but Toyota will not acknowledge or take car of their problems. Other than that the motor ran well and I got good mileage, but I would never buy another one.

better transmissions

Cool Camry
By Ashleymae

2004 Toyota Camry Sedan LE 4dr Sedan (2.4L 4cyl 5M)

I bought the car 9 months ago with 34,000 miles. It now has 68,900. So far I have just had to replace the front brake pads. It does have a couple of rattles in the dash that I can't find. I turn up the radio and that takes care of that. The paint job could use a little improvement no shine, dull. The sunroof has a wind whistle and I have to tap the close button and it closes all the way. No leaks so far. Stinky smell coming from the AC vents. A trip to the dealer for the AC refresher treatment cured that little problem. My Camry has the 4 banger and gets around 24/26 city and 28/34 highway. I have a lead foot so this is good. I also like the fact that it has a time chain instead of a belt.

Great fuel economy. Quick pick up. Easy to drive and a great sound system.

Paint job my biggest complaint. Cannot get it to shine. Paint looks flat. I've had it clay barred and had high speed wax job, nothing helps. Next step is to have it repainted a high gloss Chevrolet white.

Very Good, But With Problems
By BigBird

2004 Toyota Camry Sedan XLE 4dr Sedan (2.4L 4cyl 4A)

Not the "bulletproof" Toyota I expected, but still a very good car for the price. The intermediate steering shaft went @ 36K and the water pump was leaking slightly @ the block. Both fixed under warranty. The front driver's seat has a squeak when you sit down and the wipers squeak against the window (tried both after market and Toyota replacements). Unlike others, no problems with the paint, rust @ the trunk lid, odors from the A/C or heater, or the auto transmission (shifts fine). Makes you wonder if Toyota has "built on Monday" problems like GM used to have. Got 60K out of the original Potenza tires -- I know, that's unbelievable. Rotated them often and watched the pressure.

The 4-cylinder engine is all the power you need. Took 2 adults w/luggage and the A/C running up and down the Great Smoky mountains with no problems (regular 87 octane gas). Car is nice & quiet @ 80 mph, too.

Do NOT trust the computer to calculate your mileage. Calculate it manually. You'll be surprised to see that the computer is OVERSTATING your mileage by 20%!! This is very deceptive on Toyota's part, I think. The computer knows EXACTLY how much gas you are using.

Better late than never?
By Rick Wunder

2004 Toyota Camry Sedan XLE 4dr Sedan (2.4L 4cyl 4A)

It's been 4 years since I picked up my Camry. It now has 99,000 miles, and I have had zero problems with it. I replaced the original Michelin tires at 75k miles, along with the rear brakes. Front brakes were done at 98,000 miles. I'd like to see improved instrument panel lighting. It is difficult for my 59 year old eyes to see the gauges (including the speedometer) at night. From what I've seen, this has been improved in later model years. Although this is a lot of car for the money, I would have gladly spent a bit more for traction control, but it was not available with the 4 cyl. engine.

I love the passenger room and storage space in the passenger compartment. I also love the large trunk.

Improve instrument panel lighting. Offer traction control for all models, not just the V6.