Used 2004 Toyota Camry Consumer Reviews - 309 Car Reviews | Edmunds

Consumer Reviews

2004 Toyota Camry

View reviews for a specific Camry model:

Very Good, But With Problems
By BigBird

2004 Toyota Camry XLE 4dr Sedan (2.4L 4cyl 4A)

Not the "bulletproof" Toyota I expected, but still a very good car for the price. The intermediate steering shaft went @ 36K and the water pump was leaking slightly @ the block. Both fixed under warranty. The front driver's seat has a squeak when you sit down and the wipers squeak against the window (tried both after market and Toyota replacements). Unlike others, no problems with the paint, rust @ the trunk lid, odors from the A/C or heater, or the auto transmission (shifts fine). Makes you wonder if Toyota has "built on Monday" problems like GM used to have. Got 60K out of the original Potenza tires -- I know, that's unbelievable. Rotated them often and watched the pressure.

The 4-cylinder engine is all the power you need. Took 2 adults w/luggage and the A/C running up and down the Great Smoky mountains with no problems (regular 87 octane gas). Car is nice & quiet @ 80 mph, too.

Do NOT trust the computer to calculate your mileage. Calculate it manually. You'll be surprised to see that the computer is OVERSTATING your mileage by 20%!! This is very deceptive on Toyota's part, I think. The computer knows EXACTLY how much gas you are using.

Better late than never?
By Rick Wunder

2004 Toyota Camry XLE 4dr Sedan (2.4L 4cyl 4A)

It's been 4 years since I picked up my Camry. It now has 99,000 miles, and I have had zero problems with it. I replaced the original Michelin tires at 75k miles, along with the rear brakes. Front brakes were done at 98,000 miles. I'd like to see improved instrument panel lighting. It is difficult for my 59 year old eyes to see the gauges (including the speedometer) at night. From what I've seen, this has been improved in later model years. Although this is a lot of car for the money, I would have gladly spent a bit more for traction control, but it was not available with the 4 cyl. engine.

I love the passenger room and storage space in the passenger compartment. I also love the large trunk.

Improve instrument panel lighting. Offer traction control for all models, not just the V6.

Still enjoy the car after 2 1/2 years
By Dan Alsup

2004 Toyota Camry LE 4dr Sedan (2.4L 4cyl 5M)

We bought the car as a certified used car with 38,000 miles on it and now have 97,000 with no problems whatsoever. On a recent trip to Houston we drove between 60 and 65 MPH and got 35.5 MPG! (New tires and wheel alignment prior to the trip.) Love the lumbar support and the quiet ride. The only complaint is the easily scratched exterior paint. Much less road noise than the Hondas we have owned.

Lumbar support. Quiet ride. Confidence the car will get us wherever we want to go and in comfort. Great gas mileage.

Better paint.

2004 Toyota Camry 2.4 four cylinder
By Paul

2004 Toyota Camry LE 4dr Sedan (2.4L 4cyl 5M)

I've owned this car from new and have serviced all fluids regularly (transmission, coolant and steering included). It is my rolling office and my main concerns are reliability and economy. It avarages 30 mpg, needed front brake pads at 72,000, wiper blades at 75,000, spark plugs at 100,000, pads with rotors at 153,000. The only unschedualed repair to date was the right rear brake light bulb at 103,000. The rear brakes have had regular cleaning but have not worn out. If Toyota made appliances, computers etc. I would buy them

This car does exactly what I ask of it. When I want driving fun and excitement I drive my MR2 Spyder - which has provided equal reliability. I have owned/worked on/driven many cars from America, Europe and Japan, all the brands could learn a great deal from Toyota (and Honda)

Best car I have ever had!
By leyvagrl

2004 Toyota Camry XLE 4dr Sedan (2.4L 4cyl 4A)

This is the funnest family sedan that I think anyone could own! I have so much fun in this car, it picks up quick, it's cute and its very roomy & comfortable inside. I am a mother of 3 & the car is practical and something that dosen't "scream mommy!" I put a dark tint on the windows, put new rims on it & made it more "me".

The gas mileage and the thing that tells me how many mpg I am getting & how many miles I have to an empty tank.

This car should come with alloy wheels not hubcaps. I lost three hubcaps in 4 months. That's my only complaint!