Used 2004 Toyota Camry Consumer Reviews - 309 Car Reviews | Edmunds

Consumer Reviews

2004 Toyota Camry

View reviews for a specific Camry model:

Buyers Beware!
By SCathey

2004 Toyota Camry LE 4dr Sedan (2.4L 4cyl 4A)

May 2010: In 4 months, I have had transmission rebuilt, trouble with catalytic converter, and now needs new engine! I took really good care of this car and intended to keep if for 20 years! I am selling as is and never buying another Toyota EVER!

Better built everything!

Driving excitement
By Jane G.

2004 Toyota Camry LE 4dr Sedan (2.4L 4cyl 4A)

This has been the best car ever. Maybe not the sharpest looking but the way it handles, it's smooth ride, quiet interior, quick acceleration and outstanding gas mileage makes it tops in my book. I consistently get 28-29 mpg. On my curvy road to and from home, I could effortlessly sail around the curves without a worry. Driving on snow and ice was solid. My husband preferred my car to his Ford Explorer for winter weather driving. If I could get another exactly like this but without the higher miles, I would.

Smooth driving, easy handling, great gas mileage, quick response.

This needs a beauty makeover. A dull look that belies it's wow personality.

Throttle Body Failure - Recall Coming?
By pt

2004 Toyota Camry XLE 4dr Sedan (2.4L 4cyl 4A)

As has been reported to Toyota and the NHTSA, the throttle body will fail on this vehicle due to a design flaw. Do a web search on this model of Toyota and you'll see numerous instances of "throttle body failure." We just had to spend $1100 getting it replaced on our 2004 Camry and because it is a design flaw, it will fail again. The car will simply stop in the middle of the road with no way of restarting it.

Best car I've ever owned
By clxi

2004 Toyota Camry XLE 4dr Sedan (2.4L 4cyl 4A)

20 mpg city, 35 on the road, comfortable, quick and roomy ! I replaced the Michelins with Firestone Firehawk GT's and it became better in the corners and better in the snow.

Power Seat, sun roof, acceleration and trunk space.

CD player controls on the steering wheel, and redesign the seat belt pulleys.

Lived up to its rep, so far
By John

2004 Toyota Camry LE 4dr Sedan (2.4L 4cyl 4A)

After 86k miles, my Camry is still trucking along with no problems, no unusual expense. The worst I've had is tires that wore prematurely (Potenza) -- nice performance tires but wore out at 35k. On the good side, no need for brake job 'til 60k! Aside from that, only 1 regret that it did not come with much tinting! making it hot in summer. Otherwise a fantastic car and the only comfortable seat I've ever owned.

Seat comfort, tight steering, thoughtful arrangement of everything, esp. controls and stereo setup, sufficient leg-room.

Do tinting on all windows where it's legal!