Used 2003 Toyota Camry Consumer Reviews - 384 Car Reviews | Edmunds

Consumer Reviews

2003 Toyota Camry

View reviews for a specific Camry model:

Love My 2003 Camry SE
By Love my Camry

2003 Toyota Camry SE 4dr Sedan (2.4L 4cyl 5M)

I have owned the car from 2003 until 2009. I have put about 80000 miles on the car. It is fun to drive and can boogey after an initial realization pause. The only complaint I have is that the tires and suspension are a bit of a worry because it causes the steering column to shake if tires aren't perfectly inflated and the weight on the axles isn't great; it'll cause you to almost wreck. The car also has a very loose suspension, causing it to "scratch." Most of the time I felt very safe in my Camry... when it was being stubborn, possibly due to a bad mechanic at the dealership.

The rear blind, the speed of it, and the fact that it looks a lot better as the SE style.

The suspension, the steering wheel column squeaks, the tires poke out far.

Good car, but overrated
By dsensing

2003 Toyota Camry XLE 4dr Sedan (2.4L 4cyl 4A)

This is an incredibly well-built car that does most everything competently but nothing really well. Mine's a tricked-out XLE (4-cyl) with leather, roof, JBL system, heated seats, etc. I have nothing to complain at 60K miles, but can't really brag about it, either. Fact is, this car is dull as dishwater. The I-4 is a slug. The JBL sound system barely qualifies as "premium." I don't feel any connection to the road through the steering, which is over-assisted and much too light at all speeds. Build quality is outstanding, as is reliability. Good back seat room and seats are 7.5 on the 10 scale for comfort (our Volvo V70 is the 10). But the Camry is dull, dull, dull.

Nothing favorite. Nothing stands out. I will say the leather has held up extremely well. I guess Toyota quality and reliability would be favorites.

Man, build a car with some soul and that makes you want to drive it the next day! Also, fuel economy is not very good.

Problems after 60k
By charlie from boston

2003 Toyota Camry LE V6 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

We bought a Camry after many problems with our 1999 Mitsubishi Gallant. We bought on brand reputation and looks of car. The car ran great until the 36k warranty expired. First thing was that a fuel sensor went bad shortly after warranty expired. $450 Then the paint on the car started to peel.The seatbelts in front have always locked up while driving..Has never drove well in snow and back end tends to swerve in snowy weather. Changed tires because original tires did not grip the road well. Needed new struts at 45k. At 65k the oxygen sensor went and shortly after that the power steering failed. No next time!

I think that Toyotas quality and brand reputation has dropped. They have loyal customers and now are cutting corners in building great cars. Not as reliable as before and the car is expensive to repair major problems.

Almost Six Years Old - Never a Problem
By scott

2003 Toyota Camry LE 4dr Sedan (2.4L 4cyl 5M)

After almost 6 years and 90k, this car just keeps going without a single problem. I just get scheduled oil changes and tuneups every 30k miles. Other than new tires around 65k miles, that's been it so far. I bought it for Toyota's reliability and my expectations have been exceeded. I love that it runs on regular gas and gets gas mileage (over 30 mpg at highway speeds). The large trunk and roomy back seats come in handy. I don't know if I'll keep this car for 211k miles like another reviewer, but I am looking forward to another 6 years.

Great driving car.

I might spend the money on leather if I knew I was going to keep the car this long.

211000 miles and going strong
By steve

2003 Toyota Camry XLE V6 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

At 211000 miles I am thinking of selling. AC compressor went out, at 140000, and timing belts at recommended intervals, other than that mechanically perfect except for the radio. It has never died anywhere, the V6 still runs as if it was new, though it has developed a front end rattle over bumps. The turning radius is amazingly good, and with the ABS it has saved me a few times in snow and wet weather. Gets about 25 mpg on the highway, which is tolerable with reg. gas. This is my 4th Camry V6, starting in 1986, and its the best of the lot, though the 93 is still going strong with my son in law at 275,000 miles. Why would I switch? To buy a new one, though this still looks great.

Reliability, low cost to run, turning radius, 6 disc changer, heated seats.

Front end rattling, controls on steering wheel for radio/CD.