Used 2003 Toyota Camry Sedan Consumer Reviews - 386 Car Reviews | Edmunds

Consumer Reviews

2003 Toyota Camry Sedan

View reviews for a specific Camry model:

Great while it lasted, beware of known issue
By shadsie

2003 Toyota Camry Sedan LE 4dr Sedan (2.4L 4cyl 4A)

I loved this car while it was running. It handled well, it was a smooth and comfortable ride, it was easy to maintain. It was wonderful. *However*, I knew when I bought this car that it had known issues with stripping head bolts. I wish I had walked away. The car lasted 180k miles before the head bolts ended up stripping and the head gasket blew. Now that those issues have been fixed, it has a massive oil leak that hasn't been found yet. It's been a nightmare. I don't know if the stripping is inevitable or not, but I've heard of enough incidents of this to strongly recommend you look at a 2007 or newer model instead of this one. Buy at your own risk!

Great handling, very smooth ride, very comfortable, easy maintenance

Please please please fix the head bolts!

Great Car
By lennylg

2003 Toyota Camry Sedan SE 4dr Sedan (2.4L 4cyl 4A)

I had a 2003 Camry that my mother bought brand new. I'm upset, I totalled the car on ice. It had 95,000 miles on it. I got it with 30,000 miles on it. I never fixed a thing. I so hoped to take it to 200,000 miles.

Owned since brand new in 2003
By bagui1984

2003 Toyota Camry Sedan LE 4dr Sedan (2.4L 4cyl 4A)

I have owned this car since 2003 when it was bought brand new. I am 29 now and the car now has a bit over 126,000 miles. I have not experienced the dreaded stripping head bolts yet, and hope I never have to experience it. Ideally, I would love to use this car until 300,000 miles.

I bought the car because of Toyota's reputation on reliability. I have added lots of mods on this LE, Homelink, HID projector headlamps from a Lexus, Wood grain, Fog Lights from the XLE model, TRD rear sway bar, just to make this car a bit fun to drive. I love it thus far, no real problems yet and hopefully forever.

Sound system is excellent, crisp and lots of bass, Reliability is excellent, Comfort is also excellent on long trips. The visibility is great as well. The Turning radius/Cycle is one of the best out there. I guess that is what Toyota/Lexus is known for. Toyota builds excellent cars.

Handling is ok, though I would like it to be a tad bit better, I know the 2012+ Camrys are excellent handling machines. I wish this was the case for the 03. The suspension just feels a bit soft. When you go over a bump the car kind of acts a bit clumsily.

Fun To Drive 2003 Camry XLE-V6
By nanakuli

2003 Toyota Camry Sedan XLE V6 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 5A)

I have over 130,000 miles on mine and I don't want to part with it. Yes, mine is 13 years old and runs like a top.
Pros are the reliability, the smooth V-6 on the highway, the visibility from the cabin, the ride on Primacy V-rated rubber, the mpg, the automatic a/c, the huge trunk, the cupholders, the JBL stereo -- the head unit of which I replaced with an Alpine touch screen, but it plays through the JBL amps and speakers and sounds perfect. (The audio upgrade added a hands-free phone and an iPod jack, along with a back-up camera)
Cons are the slab-sided styling, the electric window only being auto up/down on the driver's side, no memory seats, hmmm, that's about it.
Overall, the best beater back and forth to work car you could ever hope for.
Same V-6 drivetrain as the 03 Lexus, but smaller body so it moves!

UPDATE. Now I have 142,000 miles on it and it's still good, except the mechanic told me the engine mounts are starting to go. I plan to buy a new 2018 Camry XLE V-6 when they're available, and keep my old one for a placeholder on the street. 15 years out of a car -- not bad.

dont buy this car get a 2004 and up
By jlevitan

2003 Toyota Camry Sedan LE 4dr Sedan (2.4L 4cyl 4A)

bought the car from a dealer. car needed the starter and fan system replaced 2 days after. car runs really hot. oil is seeping out of the engine. car has 103,000 miles on it for a Toyota this shouldn't be much. there is a known issue with camrys from 2002-2006 with the headbolts stripping off the engine block causing the engine to overheat and then blow at any givin time.and there is no support from toyota they could car less selling the car on name alone instead of quality. if i could go back in time i would tell the dealer to keep it and got into something else. purchased it for Toyota name and quality and got the worst car experience ive ever havve to deal with do not buy this car