Used 1999 Toyota Camry Consumer Reviews - 174 Car Reviews | Edmunds

Consumer Reviews

1999 Toyota Camry

View reviews for a specific Camry model:

135000 miles and still going strong
By Lillann

1999 Toyota Camry LE 4dr Sedan

This has been one of the most reliable cars we have ever known. We have had Toyotas since 1976 and have found them extremely reliable! Will not buy another brand. This one has been so reliable with only a water pump going out a couple of years ago. Everything keeps working well and the engine seems to be as reliable as when we drove it off the lot new. We are still getting between 28 and 30 mpg on highway which is what we started with. Will drive it until it gives out.

Reliability, reliability, reliability!! Comfortable and I have fun driving it. We live 5 and a half hours from our daughter and I take this trip quite often. Also, we live close to the Gulf and I enjoy just getting out and riding.

Very Reliable Car
By Tim

1999 Toyota Camry LE 4dr Sedan

I bought this car 6 years ago. It had about 10,000 miles on it when I purchased it. I have driven this car over 100,000 miles and it still runs like new car. I had to replace the exhaust pipe once and had some repair done on the shockers which cost me about 600 dollars.

Roomy interior, runs smoothly, very reliable

Make the exterior more stylish.

A little Disappointed
By Blossom

1999 Toyota Camry LE 4dr Sedan

This is my 2nd Camry. I got almost 300K on my previous model before I had any major problems at all. The transmission had trouble. Unfortunately this one is not fairing as well. The vehicle is well maintained and serviced, but at 188,000 I've had to replace transmission seals, gaskets,and there is an engine oil leak the continues to come back and now the power steering rack is leaking. It's starting to get very sluggish, too. I would still purchase another Camry, but this one has been disappointing.

Reliability. Despite the problems, it has never let me down or stranded me.

Better Transmission and more horsepower in the 4-cylinder models

Great Car
By kwc1987

1999 Toyota Camry LE 4dr Sedan

The 99 Toyota Camry is a great car for me so far. I have had no problems with it. The car rides very nice and I think it will last me through college. The only problem I have is the suspension is noisy when it goes over rough bumps. I am 6'4 and I really feel comfortable because the seat adjusts back/forth and up/down. It's a great car and I have read great reviews on this car!

I can adjust the seat anyway I want it so I can fit comfortably in the car.

The suspension make noises when you go over rough surfaces but with the radio up you can't hear it.

1999 Camry endless problems
By Alex

1999 Toyota Camry LE 4dr Sedan

I purchased this certified car in Dec. 2002. At the beginning it was good. After I had problems with leaking water pump, transmission problems and last huge problem it start lose engine oil. Dealer made some repairs, but it was getting worse and worse. Last time 2 months ago oil level was below lower mark after 1000 miles!!! Dealer hold car for a week, replaced rings, recondition the engine head, bearings etc. Now, after 250 miles it lose 30% of oil. So, I need to go to dealer again.

Quiet running