Used 1998 Toyota Camry Consumer Reviews - 133 Car Reviews | Edmunds

Consumer Reviews

1998 Toyota Camry

View reviews for a specific Camry model:

Totally Awesome
By Martin

1998 Toyota Camry LE 4dr Sedan

227,000 miles. Never dreamed I would be driving a car with this many miles, but now I am. I have had a Corolla, Vibe (Matrix), and now this Camry and love them all. I bought it last November and planned to drive it as a beater until I could afford to get something else, but i love it too much to get rid of it. Highly recommend this car to anyone who needs room, quality, and good gas mileage. Keep up the good work, Toyota!! I am one of your greatest fans.

All the creature comforts, just wish mine had sunroof.

Lots of power
By carol

1998 Toyota Camry XLE 4dr Sedan

I purchased my 1998 Toyota XLE 6 in November 1997. I have driven several other vehicles and this one has the pick up, and the motor is very quiet. It's been a excellent car.

The sun/moon roof and leather seats.

Should have more cup holders in the back seat.

Old Reliable
By Old Reliable

1998 Toyota Camry LE 4dr Sedan

Thank goodness for reliable transportation. Bought in 2000 with 36000 miles. Only mechanical issues were some exhaust/catalytic converter problems. (NOT CHEAP TO FIX-1000 miles over Toyota extended warranty-which Toyota has admitted as manufacturing problem, but will not pay for). I've owned 4 cars in the past 30 years, 3 of them a toyota. They're definitely boring, but reliable. The interior is cheap, and having 77000 miles on a ten year old car, it should look better than it does. Trim has been fading and falling off since 2000. Power window issues, release for gas cap has been broken for 9 years.

Moonroof - large trunk - abs system.

Needs quality trim. This "wood" look trim actually looks like the faded, peeling plastic that it is. Gas cap release.

Happy with Camry
By sammie

1998 Toyota Camry LE 4dr Sedan

I have been very pleased with this car. Highway mileage is 35-37 mpg; city about 25. Have needed very few repairs that were not covered by warranty. They found a few problems I was not aware of while the car was on warranty. Other than those, I've only needed regular maintenance. I do have a rattle in front right wheel well, but no one has found a problem. Front seat could be a little higher. Some wear on inside door. Other than that, it's a great car.

A keeper
By Doc

1998 Toyota Camry XLE V6 4dr Sedan

Bought our Camry used with 65,000 miles on it, and put on another 65,000 so far. This is easily the best car I have owned in my 30 years of driving. It is still like new, very few squeaks or rattles. Very few problems - burned out light bulbs, other minor items. I figure another 65,000 miles and we will pass it on to our kid.

Smooth, quiet, and comfortable. Tracks straight as if it were on rails. The V6 leaves the tin-can muffler crowd watching my tail-lights. Extraordinarily reliable.

Leather seats need heaters.