Used 1998 Toyota Camry Sedan Consumer Reviews - 133 Car Reviews | Edmunds

Consumer Reviews

1998 Toyota Camry Sedan

View reviews for a specific Camry model:

Old Reliable
By Jsmiles

1998 Toyota Camry Sedan LE 4dr Sedan

I've had my Camry for three months now. This is what I call an everyday sedan, from Japan, so-so styling, comfortable interior, safe, good resale value, and reliable. The car meets all of that and more. This car is one of the most comfortable cars I've ever owned, and I've had a newer camry from 2002, and this car handles better than my 2002 camry. It's a normal sedan, not too over the top, and not too boring, it's just a good car to get you from point A to point B. I love this car, and will trade up in a couple of years.

Reliability, seats are every comfortable, spacious interior, and big trunk

Higher ground clearance, the 2.2 liter v4 has lackluster accleration, when trunk is full, the car can be hard to keep straight.

Great in many ways
By me

1998 Toyota Camry Sedan LE 4dr Sedan

Bought it new.. Very reliable car, NEVER had a problem, just brought it in to be serviced as needed and everything was always smooth. With driving every day, but mostly local, I could go 3 weeks before needing more gas. Not a "cool" car but definitely reliable and worth the money... it will last for many miles. After an accident, and the car being totalled, proved to be a safe car to the driver. I would recommend this car.

Very good on gas, large trunk, and large backseat, COLD A/C.

the interior door panels had normal wear and tear, but I heard that from a lot of people, so that should be improved

Could be better
By its ok

1998 Toyota Camry Sedan LE 4dr Sedan

We bought our 1998 Toyota Camry LE with 100,000 miles; currently have 116,000. Have had a couple of sensors replaced, but is mostly reliable. Have never gotten more than 30 MPG. Everything is just average, nothing exciting, in fact it is very boring. Not much room up front, and the cupholders in the back are terrible. Seats are moderately comfy, but the legroom in back is great. Wish there were a button on the remote for the trunk, and the buttons are not labeled for lock/unlock.

Back Seat

Keyless entry, stronger shocks. Can hear anything rattle when you go over a bump, and the engine sounds like it's caught in something when idleing.

Many Problems
By Charlie

1998 Toyota Camry Sedan LE 4dr Sedan

I bought this car used with 20,000 miles on it. The dash board has a tear, buttons have fallen off the radio and all the interior seems to be made of cheap plastic pieces which break if you try to fix any thing. Power window motor died on the driver side. Windshield washer fluid reservoir broke and would not hold any fluid. Water pump broke off and broke the timing belt when it happened. A/C died, thermostat closed and shot off a hose. Car doesnt beep when you lock it and the trunk button doesn't work on the remote. Headlight leaks in water, now yellow. Paint chips very easily. Currently we are fixing the radiator because it is leaking engine coolant.

Good pickup for a 4-cylinder, good handling.

Higher quality parts (interior and exterior) and better ingenuity.

Like a Rock
By GW

1998 Toyota Camry Sedan LE 4dr Sedan

After 109,000 miles, our Camry has lived up to the stereotypical reputation - a flawlessly reliable car. Basically, nothing has ever gone wrong. Well, the interior dome light didn't work when I first picked up the car - and I was too lazy to bring it back - so 7.5 years later it still doesn't work - my fault! The engine has developed a slight rattling sound, nothing to complain about, and understandable at 109K. The car still looks great, paint is still sharp. OK, one other thing, the rear seat drinkholder is flimsy and my kids broke it off pretty easily. Bottom line: Best $18,350 I have ever spent. What a great car - a no-brainer.

Solid feel. Big trunk. Very large comfortable back seat. Big glove compartment. Convenient large center console storage. A/C cools car very quickly. Peppy, for a 4-cyl engine. Smooth cruise control.

I've sort of "outgrown" my Camry luxury-wise. My key upgrades for my next car will be leather seats, keyless entry, dual climate zones and rear climate controls, better radio (the Camry's audio seems to come only from the front), auto seat controls.