Used 1998 Toyota Camry Consumer Reviews - 135 Car Reviews | Edmunds

Consumer Reviews

1998 Toyota Camry

View reviews for a specific Camry model:

Glad to be back in a Camry!!
By jolene

1998 Toyota Camry LE 4dr Sedan

I bought this car with 98k miles without any doubts after owning a 95 camry, then going to a Chevy. I have not had a minutes problem with it. I am so glad to be back in a Camry!!

Comfort, styling, dependability, fuel economy... everything!

None - continue to build an awesome car!!

My fav auto
By shoemasterz

1998 Toyota Camry CE 4dr Sedan

Great family car, large trunk comes in handy for those long road trips, reliable, handles well in poor weather.

Better quality interior parts should be used, i.e. inside door handle/consoles.

OK
By Jeff

1998 Toyota Camry LE 4dr Sedan

1st time buyer of a Toyota, bought one because of (so called) reliability. I know I have over 100,000 miles on it now, but I bought this to replaced a Chevy with 160,000 miles on it and have sunk more money into this than I ever did in my Chevy. Look out when you reach 100,000 miles. I had to replace water pump (leaking), power steering pump (leaking), rear struts, tie rod ends, rear cam seal (leaking) and now I have noticed another leak on my garage floor and dealer tells me it is the front cam seal and they have to pull engine (very expensive). Rides rough and rattles. Feels like you are in a go cart it sits so low. Repairs are higher than domestic cars. My wife wants us to trade it in.

Sporty look, trunk and gas door release, a fair amount of trunk space. Peppy 4 cyl. Fair gas mileage.

Reliability, repair parts that are not twice the price of GM's.

98 LE 4cyl
By Arthur

1998 Toyota Camry LE 4dr Sedan

Great Car other than regular maintenance no issues with it. Its clear that the people who rated this car so low DOESNT actually own one, and are just plain full of it. How could so many other people not have problems .

Quality, Refinement, Efficiency,

Better Styling, Sharper Steering

236,000 Miles and Counting
By John

1998 Toyota Camry CE V6 4dr Sedan

I bought this car new and added a trailer hitch for towing. I'm using a 5,000 mile oil change schedule and change the air filter regularly. It has 236,000 miles on it and runs like it did when it was new. I have no idea how long I should expect to wait before I can get a new car! It still has the original clutch, even with me pulling a trailer now and then. I have replaced one tie rod that had a little play in it, and an oxygen sensor. Currently the check engine light is on so an oxygen sensor is probably out again.

My favorite feature is without a doubt, reliability! The 5-speed is nice and gives it plenty of get-up-and-go for a smaller engine. I get 27 MPG driving 75- 80 mph. The platinum plugs are good for well over 100,000 miles. 120,000 miles on the present set.

The antilock brake sensor wires are delicate and prone to damage when the struts are replaced. The oxygen sensors don't last long enough and there is some noise in the front suspension. The paint on the hood seems overly prone to chips... or am I just following to closely??