Used 1997 Toyota Camry Consumer Reviews - 118 Car Reviews | Edmunds

Consumer Reviews

1997 Toyota Camry

View reviews for a specific Camry model:

Love This Baby
By happy camper

1997 Toyota Camry CE V6 4dr Sedan

I have owned this car for 6 years (V6 CE, 5 spd man tran). It is a gem. My likes are too long to list. Most important ones: fast & powerful (speedo shows 140, it does 140. Leave -hot- cars in dust. Unlike the Accord, I don't have to rev the engine to get going), brakes (4 wheel abs, great stopping distance), reliability, comfort & amenities, and cheap parts. Also, very well balanced, very stable in rain and snow. It has 182,000 miles, runs like new. I only changed the O2 sensor. Other stuff was regular maintenance. It is no Ferrari on curves but if you know the limits of the car and act accordingly it is a joy to drive.

Everything.

If maintenance is skipped you may have problems such as sludge in engine, suspension, and front end. but it is true for any car.

Best car I've ever owned
By evo

1997 Toyota Camry LE 4dr Sedan

My only complaint is the suspension... it's terrible and so expensive to replace, but unless it's done, you'll pay on brakes. Very comfortable and great on trips, a little gutless these days through mountain passes and at 170000 I'm ready to move on... definitely replacing with another toyota. I've loved my camry.

Extreme reliability, only been in the shop twice, timing belt both times. Comfort.

Suspension could use a little more power (4cyl).

Great Car
By lmjones

1997 Toyota Camry LE 4dr Sedan

I got my Camry used two years ago, and it's been an exceptional car. It's slowly falling apart (console top came off, driver's door handle on outside off and inside is cracked and ready to come off, driver's window is off track, muffler's shot, shock housings shot, a few rust spots, dent on the rear quarter panel, etc.), but I'm pretty rough on my cars. Aside from the recalled engine issue (something's not sealed? I'm not sure, but it burns oil like no other, and when I take off a huge cloud of smoke comes out the back end), I've had no major work done on it. Great little car! I'll probably be getting a newer one (looking at '06 models) next year.

Reliability, style, hardiness.

The engine issue.

Years and years of trouble-free driving
By Pat

1997 Toyota Camry XLE 4dr Sedan

Brakes, tires, gas and oil are all this car has needed for 10 years/150k miles. It just keeps going, so my only complaint is boredom. The car is the most dependable I have owned and gets you from point A to point B, without much excitement along the way. I eventually had some front-end and suspension work done so that I can keep it as a second car. It feels like it still has several more years in it.

Quiet engine. Dependable day in and day out. Trunk large enough for 3 golf bags.

Road noise at highway speeds.

Loved it... till we killed it!!!
By Stacy

1997 Toyota Camry LE 4dr Sedan

I purchased this car in 2002 with 69000 miles on it. In March of 2006 the engine blew up, but it had a little over 200,000 miles on it and my husband didn't get regular oil changes. About 6 months later we recieved a recall notice for the engine, but it was already past the 7 yr mark. I absolutely loved my Camry and am looking for a 99 model. I will definitely continue to buy Toyotas and would recommend them to anyone!! Before the engine went we only had to replace the tires, oil, etc., that was routine maint.

Gas mileage, handling, comfortable, size (can get 3 full size car seats in the back seat).

The fading paint on bumpers, the oil passages.