Used 1997 Toyota Camry Consumer Reviews - 118 Car Reviews | Edmunds

Consumer Reviews

1997 Toyota Camry

View reviews for a specific Camry model:

a good car for everyone
By rt asian

1997 Toyota Camry LE 4dr Sedan

I bought a Toyota Camry model 1997 LE 4 door sedan. What a car this was. It is good as new. Of course, there are some parts that needs replacement like the minor ones, spark plug, tires wiper blades, oil, brake fluid, etc. I would recommend this to everyone who wish to buy second hand car. The performance is fine, the curves and U-turns were amazing. Try It, you'll love it.

Roomy, elegant, and build for hard working people.

The stereo system must be touch-a-matic.

A little disappointed
By jbarada

1997 Toyota Camry LE 4dr Sedan

I bought this car for my wife from an elderly couple who had bought it new. It had less than 70K on it. I didn't look it over a closely as I would normally because of Toyota's reputation. I later discovered an annoying rattle in the front end that turned out to be strut mounts, it burns and leaks oil, I go through four quarts of oil before its due for an oil change. The transmission does not seem to shift properly, especially on uphill grades on the highway. Despite these few let downs I am fairly pleased with its overall performance. It is above par when it comes to road manners, very plush ride, and effortless to drive. It does quite well on gas too usually gets about 28/32 city and highway

auto lock and unlock doors, auto down drivers window, will not let you lock your keys in the ignition, has very strong brakes, and roomy back seats.

The Camry has come a long way since '97, I think any issues have been addressed with the newer models.

Great car!
By erock

1997 Toyota Camry LE 4dr Sedan

Only had this car a month but it's by far one of the best cars I've owned. 120,000 miles when I got it and it runs like new. The solidity and quality are unmatched. Replaced the tires and wipers so far but that's it. Would recommend this car to anyone.

Build quality, smooth quiet engine, roomy interior, quiet cruiser, fuel economy

Wuspension noise when cold outside, wimpy 14 inch tires

Reliable & quiet car
By th

1997 Toyota Camry LE 4dr Sedan

I enjoyed to drive my Camry 1997. Just to bring to the shop for regular maintenance, and fix 1x for the steering rod in last year (9 yrs & 5 months). It's is a fine, reliable, & quiet car. If someone ask me which car I will buy, I'll say another Camry!

Comfort ride, quiet inside.

Smart Shoes
By Joe

1997 Toyota Camry LE 4dr Sedan

Purchased my Camry about a year ago with 202k on it, up to 216k now. Let's see, only things outside of normal maintenance (such as brake fluid flush, replacement of plugs and the original wires, and new tires) have been the replacement of the EGR valve gasket and the replacement of the rear bumper after I was rear ended. The steering rack is on its last legs, and has hiccupped a few times in wet weather, but the Camry has never failed to get me from point A to point B. Handling is fine for a front drive sedan, and the clunking suspension is fine for since it bobs up and down less on the highway then ones in better condition.

Ergonomics are simple and well marked controls. Reliability.

Tauter suspension without the clunking.