Used 1997 Toyota Camry Consumer Reviews - 118 Car Reviews | Edmunds

Consumer Reviews

1997 Toyota Camry

View reviews for a specific Camry model:

Reliable of course
By beaver

1997 Toyota Camry LE 4dr Sedan

Very nice car! While it won't break any land speed records, it does have nice style, really nice interior, really nice all over, but what puts Toyota ahead of everyone else is reliability. I have put over 230,000 miles on it in 8 years (and missed oil changes here and there)! Repairs in that time: replaced the head gasket and have gone through 3 batteries and many tires.

Lexus comfort, Toyota price and reliability.

Not the fastest car on the block, but wouldn't sacrifice that for mpg (27). Maybe figure out how to eliminate oil changes entirely. And maybe gas while they're at it.

2ndTimeAround
By LanePie

1997 Toyota Camry LE V6 4dr Sedan

I am the 2nd owner of this great Camry. I bought it with 114,200 miles and drove it to 159,000 miles with no problems at all. The first owner kept all maintenance up and I followed. Unfortunately my husband with involved in a hit and run. The car was totaled and both airbags deployed. The car really looked like a pancake, but my husband walked away. It saved his life. I never had one problem with it except for the brake light going out. I drove 44,800 with not even one problem. Last but not least I loved my Camry. I will most definitely buy another one over and over. We still own a 2007 Camry. We had a 10 year difference in Camrys and I still preferred my 1997. The V6 power was great.

V6 power was wonderful. It never was left behind on freeways or hills. The leather seats were in excellent condition. No rips, tears, or any damage. The trunk is very roomy. I drove to Vegas twice with no problems going over the hills or the speed limit.

I only would recommend the lights to be glass instead of plastic. They were too foggy (dim) and not clear. I wish it had a CD player. But, I had a 6 CD changer.

An excellent vehicle.
By hondoman45

1997 Toyota Camry LE 4dr Sedan

This car replaced a 1993 Sable, so virtually any car would have been an improvement. For over 8 years this car has been without any problems. We just do regular maintenance (we do use synthetic oil and transmission fluid) and we've been rewarded with flawless reliability. It does have some clunking due to the strut mounts but not enough to bother us. It returns about 24 mpg in town and 31 mpg highway. It has a very quiet ride unless the road is extremely rough. It has 126k miles and on start up it does blow out blue smoke which quickly clears up. It might use a couple quarts over a years time just topping it off. I use Amsoil and change the oil and filter once a year. A great car!

It has a very smooth and quiet ride. Gas mileage is a plus, and the power windows work well. The car has a feeling of solidity that my Accord lacks. The engineers designed this car to be easy to work on which helps me a great deal. Good car for a busy person who doesn't need car issues.

The headlights are plastic and glaze over (Meguiar's Plastx works well for this) after a few years. The suspension could be firmer as the car almost wallows at times but the smooth ride is a fair trade-off. The differential is difficult to work on. On the whole, not much room for improvement!

Misery
By The Miami Driver

1997 Toyota Camry LE 4dr Sedan

I purchased my car in mid 1998. Everything started going good, until the year 2002. My transmission has failed twice, leaving me broke and stranded. My gasket is always leaking no matter how much I get it replaced. The window motors hesitate to go up or down. The driver door handle broke on the outside, which means I have to get wet in the rain or do extra work to open the door from the back. Not to mention I had it fixed twice. To add to my misery, the passenger door can not open from the inside, causing the passenger to put the window down with my hesitant motors. The interior is falling apart, but I only average about 5,000 miles a year!

The ride is smooth, the paint isn't bad, the seats are comfortable, and there is a lot of room

Better gasket, door handles, better interior

I hope it lasts 1 million miles
By my sweet baby

1997 Toyota Camry CE V6 4dr Sedan

I wrote a review about a year ago (happy camper). I am a nitpicking car nut who owned many different cars ranging from Lexus to MB. I know, price makes a difference. So it is stupid to compare a 150k car with a 20k one. BUT sometimes you get more than what you pay for. This car is it. Reading the reviews I can say that people are unfair or inaccurate in their evaluation. Some complain about changing oil, brakes, tires and belts. What??? Bottom line is, this is a great car; quiet, comfortable, powerful, good mpg + many-many amenities.

everything.