Used 1997 Toyota Camry Consumer Reviews - 118 Car Reviews | Edmunds

Consumer Reviews

1997 Toyota Camry

View reviews for a specific Camry model:

Been a good ride
By TexasOwner

1997 Toyota Camry LE 4dr Sedan

Bought it with 36k miles and now have over 200k. The car has held up nicely. Have had some brake issues that were corrected, struts have been junk since the day I bought it and required several change in tires through the years at around 20-25k mile intervals. Better than spending the 1k plus they wanted to repair. I have had to replace an axle, rack and pinion, door handles, roof liner, and a few other small things. Probably spent 2k through the years on maintenance. All in all we have been very pleased with Camry.

Seats are extremely comfortable. Gas mileage is a plus. Handles like a sports car.

Door handles, brake system and suspension.

Pleased
By Pleased

1997 Toyota Camry LE 4dr Sedan

Bought this LE with 63,000 miles on it and now have 173,200 and counting. Got nine years on original battery. I use synthetic oil and grease. Best MPG was 39.3 interstate out of Texas. Replaced timing belt @ 100,000 and all four struts @ 160,000. Ceramic disc pads and new rotors @ 150,000. Basic maintenance and this car just will not give up. My '90 Camry was @ 348,000 miles & was still running last year! Test drove a 2007 LXE & it isn't near the car my '97 is.

MPG, reliability, workmanship

Better headlights & struts

Doesn't get any better than this!
By dmsnms

1997 Toyota Camry XLE V6 4dr Sedan

All I have to say is, my husband and I bought this at 122,000 miles, and we can't believe the incredible ride quality and comfort of this beautiful car! We replaced tires and brakes so far and this car just rides like a smooth dream. We have an 09 Civic, and I still prefer to drive this car! Roomy and spacious interior, even after 12 years the leather seats are immaculate, not a single rip or tear! Seriously, buy one of these and just fix it up, you won't be sorry.

Leather seats, ROOMY interior (great for car seats), lovely ride.

NONE

Very Trustworthy Car!!!
By Mrs. Taylor

1997 Toyota Camry LE 4dr Sedan

My car was bought in 2003 while I was college. I still have the car. My husband and I both drive the car. It's not sporty but you can definitely depend on it. The only major repair was to only replace the transmission, but at 185,000 miles I didn't complain. Now at 201,000 miles, it continues to run strong.

reliability, gas mileage and comfort

very boring design

Bessie
By reb64mst59

1997 Toyota Camry LE 4dr Sedan

Always taught - buy new if you can and keep them until they can travel no more. My Camry still gets 32 mpg on the hwy and 24 in the city.

excellent car, no problems, just a few needed simple repairs that didn't break the bank

lost the added woodgrain after a few years, miss the dress up look it gave