Used 1997 Toyota Camry Sedan Consumer Reviews - 118 Car Reviews | Edmunds

Consumer Reviews

1997 Toyota Camry Sedan

View reviews for a specific Camry model:

Safe car
By rb

1997 Toyota Camry Sedan LE V6 4dr Sedan

Bought this car new, and had it til yesterday when my teen totaled it at 50 mph flipping it through a guard rail and into the woods. Both kids walked away from this crash with only minor injuries. Seat belts were on. It is clear that while the majority of the car is destroyed, the cabin is mostly intact. Air bags however did not deploy. Reliability was excellent, only problems were engine gasket leaking, and noisy front suspension that never actually had a problem (but sounded like it did). Anyway, we buy only Toyotas, and this model at least lived its life well.

Bad brakes
By JJB

1997 Toyota Camry Sedan CE 4dr Sedan

Had the Camry for about 7 years and it ran well the whole time. I did have to replace the brakes two times in 4 years. Also the alignment was always getting out of whack. First gear was a little tricky too, but that could have just been my car. Another thing to think about is the gas mileage - not as good as you would think. Spent a lot more on gas than I should have. All that aside it was a very reliable car, and the only real work I had to put into it was the brakes.

Reliability.

Reliable and Attractive
By Fran

1997 Toyota Camry Sedan LE 4dr Sedan

This is my 2nd Camry. I would definitely buy another. Only normal repairs & maintenance needed. Valve seals and head gasket all but cured a problem with excessive oil consumption problem at about 160k mi. There is no noticeable rust on the body and at 178k mi it still handles well. The biggest flaw is the seat belts that won't retract.

I love my moonroof. I use it every day that it doesn't rain or snow. The driver's seat is adjustable for short (which I am) or tall even though it is not power.

I considered the seat belt not retracting a safety issue. The driver's seat belt stopped retracting at about 45k mi. and I was not able to get a dealer or Toyota to repair it without charge.

No wonder it's the best seller
By Hideyfish

1997 Toyota Camry Sedan LE 4dr Sedan

This was my first Toyota and I bought it for good design, durability, economy and reliability. It has more than rewarded me. It has 85,000 miles on it and I expect it to last another nine years. My ONLY complaint is some clunking suspension noise on rough pavement in cold weather. This car gets a reliable 30 MPG, cruises comfortably at 75 on the interstate, runs smoothly and quietly, handles like a sports car on back roads, and still has a new car fit, finish and feel after 9 years.

Fit, finish, reliability, silence, ride, economy, looks, ergonomics. What's NOT to like?

Fix the suspension design.

Camry
By Buffalo Driver

1997 Toyota Camry Sedan LE 4dr Sedan

I bought it 4 years ago with 58K. Now it has 103+K. I had front suspension problems, drive axles as well. I replaced those the very same year, now the noise is coming back. I had to flush and clean the engine to get rid of smoke coming out of exhaust at cold starts. Otherwise it is fine. I am thinking about replacement but not sure if I will go with Camry again.

Comfort, reliability.