Used 1996 Toyota Camry Consumer Reviews - 103 Car Reviews | Edmunds

Consumer Reviews

1996 Toyota Camry

View reviews for a specific Camry model:

Don't BUY
By sammy aziz

1996 Toyota Camry LE 4dr Sedan

I got this car from my sister at 160k and it dies at 185k. It's a horrible car. I had to replace the following 1. timing belt and water pump 2. front left brake, rotor, caliper, axle 3. engine mounts (top and bottom) 4. window motor 5. door handle 6. paint job. The car had numerous more problems. My Toyota celica 1992 did better. I wish I had kept it.

Staying in the family...
By rgrace

1996 Toyota Camry LE 4dr Sedan

This car was my dad's for 9 years and then became mine. I put around 30,000 on it myself and it is now closing in on 190,000. I'm having the timing belt changed tomorrow along with the spark plugs and plug wires so I thought I'd check out what to expect in the car's future as far as repairs go and everyone's reviews are very encouraging. The car just keeps soldiering on year after year, it has completely convinced me to buy Toyota for my next vehicle...of course, if these reviews are any indication, I might not need a new one for quite a while.

Oh, what a feeling!
By Greg

1996 Toyota Camry DX 4dr Sedan

This Toyota is rolling right along. I bought it with 19,000 miles as a lease turn in. I now have 203,000 miles on it and still a daily driver. NO major repairs. Just batteries, tires, water pump and timing belt. It's one thing to pay the upfront cost, but then the maintenance cost over the years is where this car shines.

Low maintenance cost, very dependable

Wish all cars could be as dependable.

Keeps on going
By scott

1996 Toyota Camry LE 4dr Sedan

We bought our 96 LE Sedan ( basic LE, no additional options ) in 1999 with about 34K on it. Still own it and drive it every day, one of the best cars I've ever owned. Had to replace an AC sensor a few years back and solenoid contacts last year, but other than that noting but oil changes and routine maintenance. Still gets 30mpg plus on the highway too. Boring to look at and drive, but very economical, reliable and an all around great car.

Reliability, build quality

Can't ask too much more for a basic car.

Still driving it after 12 years
By UPDATED REVIEW

1996 Toyota Camry LE 4dr Sedan

In May 1996 I bought this 4 cylinder Camry LE and added only the ABS as the only option. Now a little over 12 years later I am still driving her and she has been great. The original engine was replaced in June 2006 because some idiot decided to rev the engine past the red zone on the tachometer which resulted in it blowing up and shooting a piston through the oil pan but the guy owned up and paid to have a brand new engine from Japan installed and currently has 20,000 miles on it. The old engine did have a slight oil leak but now the new one will last at least 100K. Gas mileage is much better than my sister's 01 Accord V6 and even though the 4 is underpowered, I'll take the better gas any day

Gas lasts me 2 weeks versus one week in my sister's V6 Accord, comfortable ride, bullet-proof reliability, just regular maintainance and nothing has failed, excellent resale value.

More power with less fuel use is always a good thing, lousy cupholders, mine has developed a few rattles in the dash. Handling, fun-factor. $55 to fill is a lot.