Used 1996 Toyota Camry Consumer Reviews - 105 Car Reviews | Edmunds

Consumer Reviews

1996 Toyota Camry

View reviews for a specific Camry model:

Camry forever
By Toy4life

1996 Toyota Camry LE 4dr Sedan

I bought mine 3 years ago almost to the day with 150,000 miles on it. I can't believe it's already been 3 years, but got me thinking, this is the best car I've owned. I've owned Chevy, Fords & Toyotas, had a Tundra before this, but didn't like all the gas on the Tundra. Anyhow, this car is like I've heard, Bulletproof, now has 205,000 miles on it, never a problem. I change the oil myself every 3000 miles & drive it 50 miles 4 days a week. It still gets, & I'm amazed by this, going 60-65 mph on the freeway, 37 miles a gallon! I use fuel/injector cleaner once a month to aid in this. The white paint is still in great shape with a twice a year waxing. Could be the million mile car!

Everything

Bad oil leaks.
By John B.

1996 Toyota Camry DX 4dr Sedan

This car has had excellent dealer care and has given us nothing but gross oil leaks. Would NOT consider another Toyota regardless of their seductive ad campaigns. The oil leaks are very serious. You will have a lot of oil everywhere. Consider another used car choice.

Simple car

Stop the oil leaks. Make them dependable.

Extremely reliable car
By Maz

1996 Toyota Camry XLE V6 4dr Sedan

I bought this car when it was 6 years old. It's now 14 years old and I have had no problem with it at all. It has been a very smooth, quiet and reliable car since the beginning. It does not lose any oil and even the paint finish is in good shape. I would have upgraded to a newer version had I not heard all the bad feedback about the build quality of the newer Camry models.

Reliability. Smooth and quiet drive. The looks. Almost everything about it is good.

Gas mileage! Well I know it is a V6, but I think it can be better.

Great reliable car with over 200K miles
By iluvdodgetrx

1996 Toyota Camry LE 4dr Sedan

I have had this car about 9 months and I bought it for $700. I did some normal and much needed routine maintenance on it and it has never let me down. I have almost 211,000 miles on it and I expect many more

reliable, comfortable ride, economical

Cupholders are too small

Do Not Hesitate - Best Car I've Owned
By Dan

1996 Toyota Camry LE 4dr Sedan

My wife bought this car before we were married for $6000 w/ 50K miles on it from an older woman. It now has 140,000 miles. We have taken it on old forest service roads and through small streams, packed to the brim with camping gear and a canoe strapped on top. It is comfortable and reliable - I *never* worry about breaking down or repair costs with this car. In 90K miles we have done the regular maintenance and service: timing belt & water pump, spark plugs and wires, and oil changes. Other than that, we had to replace a seal on the final drive unit and both CV boots. Overall, $1500 worth of repairs and maintenance for 90K miles of hard driving. Simply the best car we have owned.

The car is versatile. The 4 cyl engine is bullet proof, and can still take us over the mountains with hundreds of pounds of gear and a full tank of gas.

While it hasn't happened to us, I have heard that the rear brake lights can have issues. The trunk is notorious for leaking small amounts of water into it, as well.