Used 1996 Toyota Camry Sedan Consumer Reviews - 94 Car Reviews | Edmunds

Consumer Reviews

1996 Toyota Camry Sedan

View reviews for a specific Camry model:

Great car
By fishera

1996 Toyota Camry Sedan DX 4dr Sedan

Bought it in 2008 with around 180k miles and drove the heck out of it.
I could always count on it
to start and get me where I needed to go, and easily hit highway cruising speeds.
It was a very smooth and quiet ride.

Previous owner told me about the abuse he heaped on car, driving it off road and through standing water, but that didn't affect its performance for me.
Clutch burned out at 210k, was the only major repair I had to make. Leaked oil, but that's not bad if you keep up on it.

Eventually sold it to a coworker last spring, at around 220k miles.
It's still going strong, and I expect it to continue so. Sometimes I regret selling it.

Reliability. Strong motor. Spacious back seat. Simple, good car. Doesn't need much maintenance to continue running at a high level.

Reading other posts, the oil leak seems to be a common problem with this model. It is annoying to have to add a quart every few weeks, the mess can be annoying too. However, it was always easy to find my parking spot at work!

Best Car I have owned!
By marioinarp

1996 Toyota Camry Sedan LE 4dr Sedan

Great car bought used in 2007, now 4 years later have only had to replace a/c Compressor at 190,050 miles car has over 220,000 miles now and runs like NEW! Very fuel efficent on the highway. Very low maintanance. I LOVE THIS CAMRY!

ICE COLD A/C, Fuel economy

better int/ext door handles!

Camry forever
By Toy4life

1996 Toyota Camry Sedan LE 4dr Sedan

I bought mine 3 years ago almost to the day with 150,000 miles on it. I can't believe it's already been 3 years, but got me thinking, this is the best car I've owned. I've owned Chevy, Fords & Toyotas, had a Tundra before this, but didn't like all the gas on the Tundra. Anyhow, this car is like I've heard, Bulletproof, now has 205,000 miles on it, never a problem. I change the oil myself every 3000 miles & drive it 50 miles 4 days a week. It still gets, & I'm amazed by this, going 60-65 mph on the freeway, 37 miles a gallon! I use fuel/injector cleaner once a month to aid in this. The white paint is still in great shape with a twice a year waxing. Could be the million mile car!

Everything

Bad oil leaks.
By John B.

1996 Toyota Camry Sedan DX 4dr Sedan

This car has had excellent dealer care and has given us nothing but gross oil leaks. Would NOT consider another Toyota regardless of their seductive ad campaigns. The oil leaks are very serious. You will have a lot of oil everywhere. Consider another used car choice.

Simple car

Stop the oil leaks. Make them dependable.

Extremely reliable car
By Maz

1996 Toyota Camry Sedan XLE V6 4dr Sedan

I bought this car when it was 6 years old. It's now 14 years old and I have had no problem with it at all. It has been a very smooth, quiet and reliable car since the beginning. It does not lose any oil and even the paint finish is in good shape. I would have upgraded to a newer version had I not heard all the bad feedback about the build quality of the newer Camry models.

Reliability. Smooth and quiet drive. The looks. Almost everything about it is good.

Gas mileage! Well I know it is a V6, but I think it can be better.