Used 1996 Toyota Camry Consumer Reviews - 105 Car Reviews | Edmunds

Consumer Reviews

1996 Toyota Camry

View reviews for a specific Camry model:

225,000 miles, runs fine
By troyboy4

1996 Toyota Camry LE V6 4dr Sedan

Bought my 96 LE V6 used with 32,000 miles - today it has 225,000 and still runs good.
I have been waiting for some major repair to come-up, but it has never happened. original engine and transmission - repairs have been - power steering hoses, cv boots, water pump, starter- that's about it nothing major. excellent - glad I bought the V6, I think they last longer than the 4 bangers

Comfortable seats (unlike the rock hard honda seats) smooth, powerfull quiet ride - If this EXACT car was for sale new today, I would buy it again- so I would have a great reliable car for another 13 years -

Keep making toyotas like you did back in 1996.

Good car, not great quality.
By spring1991

1996 Toyota Camry LE 4dr Sedan

Bought at 120,000 for $2500. Car was in good shape but after a year and 11,000 more miles, I've poured about $5,000 worth of repairs into it. There was an overheating problem, needed a new catalytic converter, engine seals, etc. The power windows & locks stopped working at 125,000. I did all routine maintenance to it, and I know the first owner took very, very good care of it.

Despite these repairs the car is still pretty reliable and does its job. Don't be so sure that the car will run forever though. I'm thinking of getting rid of it already.

Great car sorry to see it go.
By pjz3

1996 Toyota Camry LE 4dr Sedan

When I bought my 1996 Toyota camry just under two years ago I was looking for a car to get me from point A to point B, basic transportation until I could afford something better. After looking around I finally found my 1996 Camry with about 82,000 miles I paid a little more than I wanted to for the car but knowing how reliable they are and having read countless reviews of how dependable they are I bought it. I was impressed with the power of the 2.2L 4cyl. ,it's no speed demon but has no problem merging and keeping up or passing at highway speeds.
Very comfortable ride for it's age and no rattles even after 16 years on the road. I finally bought a new car and I'm sorry to see this one go.

Nothing really stands out about this car has all power options. It's reliablity and Toyotas comitment to building a quality car really shines through. I wouldn't hesitate to take this car across the country if need be.

Nothing I can see why so many people love there Toyotas, very reliable and easy to work on.

Love x 2
By jplum46

1996 Toyota Camry LE 4dr Sedan

I'm writing a review on two 1996 Camry's. The first I bought not knowing anything about Camry's introduced to them by a friend. I really only felt that I had a decent car really didn't think much about it until I paid it off. Then i realized that I still had a new car with no payments. I started paying more attention to maintenance (wasn't that on time at first) and drove this car for another 7 years. Really the car was still like new and I had personalized it with all the latest radio and alarm features that the new cars had. Then last year it was totaled and I was heartbroken. Well I got on the net and found another same color 100mi away with 193,000mi. Had it shipped and I am in heaven!!!

The best built car period. Can be brought back from the dead like my second one which had poor maintenance but a beautiful body. This car was given TLC and had old worn suspension parts replaced along with motor care. Arrived noisy and after 10k new miles is like new. Never would I attempt such a purchase for any car online without a test drive. Go Toyota! If you don't take care of these cars they are the most resilient but what a shame. Luxury - simplicity - reliability - security - fun Camry -My Car These late 90's cars are also the last ones that you might want to personalize with your favorite electronics as the new ones are all computer and dangerous to mess with.

The new Camry's are not as good as a well maintained 3rd Gen Camry. Maybe more safety features but when I realize that my totaled first Camry should have totaled me as well then more safety isn't a consideration. I wasn't even hurt in an accident that should have been tragic. I still prefer the simple styling as to the long nose lookalike sedans of today. There is no personality in today's' cars. I may acquire a fancier one in the future but the Camry will remain in the stable.

some problems; overall great car
By edmundsmikepla

1996 Toyota Camry LE 4dr Sedan

I bought this 1996 3 years ago.
The problems I've had:
had to replace radiator- blew a hole in it, and got towed; replaced coolant temp. sensor gage- was reading faulty temperatures; replaced door handles, some inside and outside- were broken; some small vibration in the steering wheel, on and off.
Overall very good reliability, maybe not pretty.

Reliability under-hood. Good engine and transmission. AC still works. Good heating.

More power, but for 4 cyl, 1996, not bad.