Used 1990 Toyota Camry Consumer Reviews - 77 Car Reviews | Edmunds

Consumer Reviews

1990 Toyota Camry

View reviews for a specific Camry model:

the man
By segelstrom101

1990 Toyota Camry Deluxe 4dr Wagon

hello i picked up my 1990 toyota camry dx in november with 131,256 miles and boy am i impressed. lots of power good mpg and really comfortable. the heat blows like you couldn't believe and the ac is amazing. it definitely is what gave toyota the name it holds today. the only thing i have had to do in repairs besides the rust fixing is a gas line and a radiator but my yota is the man. i will be the last owner of this car i could never sell it. if you can find one i highly recommend you get it. thanx for reading.

i love the power and normal mode it has. i also really like how the shifter is on the floor instead of the dash. it is one of the most comfiest cars i have ever sat in.

make the wheel wells a little more durable there is some rust there but thts new england for you.

Hoping for 400k
By thefranks5

1990 Toyota Camry Deluxe 4dr Sedan AWD

I have two Toyota Camrys. We liked the 1990 so much, we bought a 1991. Essentially, their twins... except one is a manual shift, one an automatic. My wife wishes it would die, so she could get a new one.

The 90 has 251,900 miles and still gets between 29-34 mph. Still use it on my 180-mile commute.

No real mechanical problems, other than regular maintenance. Timing belts, water pump, cv boots, tires, etc.

The major key to it's longevity is regular oil and filter changes -- every 3k -- plus a good oil additive, Hilton Hyperlube or Lucas or Slick50.

I'm hopeful it will make to 400k. Would love to know what % of Camrys make it over 300 or 400k

Dependability, affordability, mileage, comfort.

Timing chain instead of a timing belt would have been a huge improvement, like Nissan uses. Timing belt replacements are quite expensive, now about $600+. CV boots are annoying, but how do you get around that?

Solid, Reliable, Value.
By Anthony

1990 Toyota Camry Deluxe 4dr Wagon

I can't be more impressed with this little wagon, with over 200,000 miles, it feels like new. Interior is remarkably solid & high in quality. Modern cars have better styling but can't say better build and materials. Engine is still peppy. Give any car regular oil changed and it will go over 150,000, but this car I'm sure would go over 400,000. It feels that good, with very little repairs if any. I put on 15,000 miles and saw the odometer flip 200,000 miles and not one repair since owning it. Its a 1990 so its not going to have all the bells & whistles like today's cars but it gets the job done competently. I wasn't thrilled when I purchased it cause its old & quirky looking, now I love it.

Power transmission, Visibility, ground clearance, cargo room on wagon, easy oil changes, comfy seats, great in snow.

Rust on wheel well. Little rough idle (maybe mounts) More horse power & torque.

Bulletproof
By Kwak

1990 Toyota Camry Deluxe 4dr Wagon

Looking to buy a reliable car? This car must be on your list. Find a decent one and buy it. My 20 yr old Camry will shame most cars half its age. They just don't make them like this anymore. Even newer Toyotas can't match the 2nd Gen's. reliability. But if you want "Lust, Passion, Soul" ..go else where, and bring your wallet. Proof that you can fall in love with a "boring" car. I would buy another one in a heart beat. My car is at 200,000 and betting it will go 10 more years and rack up over 300,000 miles easy. I just hope they'll still make parts when I do get to that milestone. A perfect car for low budget, student, first car, commuter. Excellent Value.

Seat comfort. Wagon is so practical. Ground clearance. Cheap repair costs (so far) timing belt, valve cover gasket, oil pump seal all for less than $400. wow . Great in the snow with all-weather tires, snow tires not needed. The confidence I have in my Camry to get me there again and again.

Rust on wheel well. It's just dated, nothing you can do about that. Cup holder in way of radio, if you spill it, there goes the radio. Hill climbing power not good, had a line of angry skiers behind me up my a**.

It keeps on ticking
By Tony

1990 Toyota Camry Deluxe 4dr Sedan

I inherited this beauty from my Aunt Mary. V-6 auto, loaded. It let me down once so far. Bad coil. I cringe at changing the three rear spark plugs!(V- 6). Wheel well rust. Thanks for the road salt New York! Aunt Mary was right, It is a Japanese Cadillac! I love the POWER button, she moves. I love this car and will drive it as long as I can. It has 92,000 on it so far. For a twenty year old car, it can't be beat! Thanks Aunt Mary!

V6 power. Power everything. Great visibility.

Engine work access(V6) You have to remove the intake manifold to get at the rear spark plugs! Shorter turning radius. Period retracting seat belts. Since I hate using seat belts, maybe this shouldn't be a negative!