Used 2006 Toyota Camry Solara Coupe Consumer Reviews - 66 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2006 Toyota Camry Solara Coupe Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Camry Solara model:

Best "compromise" used car I found
By DaveV

2006 Toyota Camry Solara Coupe SLE V6 2dr Coupe (3.3L 6cyl 5A)

I was in the market for a used car that was not too big, too small, not a real expensive "luxury" model nor a real basic model with no frills. I knew I wanted leather interior, a power drivers seat, good acceleration,comfort, quiet interior and VG seat comfort so the search went on for about two months reading reviews and test driving used cars. A 2010 Lincoln MKZ caught my attention but I found that the seat was not as comfortable as I wanted and the three Ford service centers in my area stunk when it came to appointments and their attitude towards their customers. I then test drove a 2004 Solara SLE and I knew I had found the right car so the search began for the right Solara for me. I ended up driving 149 miles to a Toyota dealer in Georgia to look at a 2006 Solara SLE V6. Based on the CarFax and Autocheck reports and the overall condition of the vehicle, it seemed to have been pretty well maintained so I bought it and drove it home. (newer timing belt and water pump) I had my local Toyota dealer go over the car and it needed spark plugs and a battery. The $498 for spark plugs (mostly labor) was a shock but the irridium plugs do last for a very long time and I only put about 5,000 a year on a car so those are likely the last plugs to go in for me. The transmission felt sort of odd in the way it sometimes shifted when I coasted to a slow speed then reapplied pressure to the gas pedal so I mentioned that to the dealer and they cleared and updated the computer module to learn my driving habit and that did make a difference. The new plugs did improve the feeling of acceleration and I've been using 89 octane for the last two months then I plan on going to 87 soon to see if I feel a difference in performance. The car is comfortable, quiet inside, everything does what it's supposed to do and the styling is timeless IMHO. Driving around town is pleasurable but this vehicle really shines on the highway at higher speeds with enough reserve power to pass other vehicles that are already doing 70MPH even with the A/C on. Thank goodness I felt the 3.3 engine was mandatory for me. On a smooth road surface the car rides on a cloud and when there's a bump or rough road surface the "sport suspension" shows up but the bumps are cushioned. So if you want a big old luxury car ride or a real sports car ride this car may not be for you as it's a combination of both. There is some "road feel" through the steering wheel but not like a real sports model but overall this is a very nice vehicle and I'm not sorry that I bought it. Just be aware of the older Toyota "dashboard" problem with cracking or feeling sticky and the pulling the left on some model years that I've read about on-line. If the car pulls to the left don't rely on a wheel alignment to cure it. Find another Solara that doesn't pull to the left or that has a dashboard in better condition.

Give it a try
By novie

2006 Toyota Camry Solara Coupe SE V6 2dr Coupe (3.3L 6cyl 5A)

A Great Used Car
By chris_s_2010

2006 Toyota Camry Solara Coupe SLE V6 2dr Coupe (3.3L 6cyl 5A)

This is a great choice as a used car. They aren't too expensive, they still look classy and they are very reliable. With the V6, the gas mileage is still decent.

I bought this a a second car so I didn't want to spend too much. I bought it for $8500 with 166k km (103k miles) on it. Like (almost all) Camry's these cars last a long time and they have a strong reputation for reliability. It's been about 6 months since I bought it and I have no regrets.

This car is comfortable to drive, pretty quiet and has power when you need it. Not a sports car but sportier than your average sedan!

* Leather interior - nicely finished (SLE model). A bit like a Lexus with extra features like heated seats and auto dimming mirrors. * Good headroom & legroom (I'm 6'4") even with the sunroof. * Back seat is very usable. * Large trunk. * Classy looking car. * Sunroof. I normally avoid cars with a sunroof because it creates a headroom problem. This is the first one I've found that has adequate headroom even with the sunroof. It's great to open up the roof on a nice day.

I found the driver's seat lumbar adjustment wasn't adequate so I use an extra lumbar pad on the seat.

Love it but wish I had the V6
By barba311

2006 Toyota Camry Solara Coupe SE Sport 2dr Coupe (2.4L 4cyl 5A)

Im 17 and I bought mine 3 months ago with 65,000 miles as my first car I love ALMOST everything about this car.
Its in superb condition. The car is comfortable, handles well, reliable because its a Toyota, and is for the most part rattle-free which means its built well.
Two things I don't like about this car are the acceleration and the MPG.
Even when I accelerate and brake gradually and coast as much as possible, I never get more than 17 MPG city, as opposed to the claimed 23 MPG city.
Acceleration is not great, the V6 probably delivers better but overall I am very very happy.

The SE Sport is great because you get black sport cloth inside, faux carbon fiber trim, 17 inch wheels and underbody spoilers. I think these features dramatically improves the appearance.

Problems
By mad

2006 Toyota Camry Solara Coupe SE Sport 2dr Coupe (2.4L 4cyl 5A)

i have had my car almost for 5 years and in the three months i have had to take it because of the engine light coming on. 400.00 for a new sensor and right now waiting to see what s wrong this time. Toyotas used to last for 150,000 miles or more but this is crazy my car is maintenanced regularly and this is what i get. never never again will i purchase a Toyota

hire people who really know how to build cars that wont kill and fall apart.