Used 2002 Toyota Camry Solara Coupe Consumer Reviews

$3,896

Used Camry Solara for Sale
Select your model:

Pros
Cons

Amazing

Tim Mitchell, 04/03/2016
SE 2dr Coupe (2.4L 4cyl 5M)

We bought this Solara in 02 from an auto auction. This car amazes me every day. We have 232000 miles on it and nothing ever goes wrong. Just regular oil changes and thats it. It runs smooth with no shaking, vibrating, noise, or rattles. I seriously wonder if Lexus parts were used in this vehicle. If you have a chance to get an 02 Solara, get it. It will prbably last another 10 years. Amazing!!

Fantastic Car

addiesue, 12/09/2012

I bought my Solara in 2006 with 78,000 miles and it now has 242,000 miles on it. I have only replace the flex pipe on the exhuast,the driver side door window glide bar and the calipers on the front brakes total cost for parts so far is less than $500.00 it still runs great and get around 30-32 miles per gallon and burns no oil.I had a 1993 Lexus LS400 before I bought this car and it had 330,000 miles with no problems, so it also was a great also car.

Best car I have ever owned

ToyotaForever, 05/29/2006

I decided to give Toyota a try with the purchase of my 2002 Toyota Solara. This is by far the best vehicle I have ever owned. The only thing I have had to replace on this car in 4 years is tires and a battery.

Awesomely Surprised

MNSargent, 11/04/2008

I am surprised in the performance and most of all the gas mileage. I live in Los Angeles, my mom found this car in Hayward. I drove from Hayward to Los Angeles which was about 380ish miles I used a little more than a half of a tank. And still had enough to last me for the work weekend which ended it 500 miles to the tank. I have a lead foot so I was perhaps speeding. WOW. I like the V6 power and the sunroof. It is a fun car and I know Toyota are reliable. And I got the car under 65k miles so it is has a lot of life to go.

A Great Sporty Car

Boston, 07/08/2005

My third Solara (had 4cyl and SLE). The V6 5spd is the best! Much more power(200hp) than 4 cyl and much more fun to drive than SLE. Not a sports car, but has a real sporty feel. If you really enjoy the driving experience, you must get the SE V6 5spd! Very quick acceleration, silky smooth and quiet, but responsive and sporty handling. Fine overall quality of workmanship (virtually trouble free). Great bet for the mid-lifer who didn't quite make it to that sports car.

Can take a blow and keep rolling!

silver bullet, 07/02/2016
SE V6 2dr Coupe (3.0L 6cyl 5M)

Had this car for over 4 years with over 165k miles on it...It runs strong made for the open road gas mileage is optimal @ 65 mph to 75 mph ....in town drinving i average 19-21 mpg without a tune-up since purchasing...the cars frame bumbers can take a blow without much distortion or passenger feel of said impact....mowed down a stop sign just plate dent, pulled a 4 town truck.out the mud "DONT RECOMMEND " 30 K MILES later car still shifts smooth...smaller gas tanker clipped my rear corner at 30 mph only scuff marks....and barely felt the impact....Overall a smooth, comfortable everyday driver thats build sturdier then it appears at 1 st glance!!

I love my car

jill, 09/27/2009

I have owned my Solara for 8 yrs. Never had major problems with it. It just hit 100,000 miles and still love my car. People find it hard to believe that the car is 8 yrs old. Recently bought a 2010 Camry sedan. Usually, I get the new car and my husband drives the old car. Since I still love my car, I did not want to give my Solara up, so my husband is driving the new car.

Love my Solara!!

Sonia, 09/27/2016
SLE V6 2dr Coupe (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

The car has been an incredible blessing! I still have it, bought it in 2003, it's black sand pearl met. I have had it for 15 1/2 yrs. Driven across the US to drop my kids for their studies/work, us and everything else fitted well. It's now 199,000 miles and going. I love the way it holds to the road and how easy it's to maneuver in hard spots. It has spunk! And yes, I love its looks, back spoiler and all.

Maintenance free car

L. Munig, 07/07/2018
SE 2dr Coupe (2.4L 4cyl 5M)

This car never left us stranded in 15 years. It is a great running car even with 200k miles on it. I have been driving it for 15 years. It's starting to look ragged and time to look for a new car. I am buying another toyota nothing else. We didn't replace any parts besides general maintenance stuff. You know oil changes, batteries thermostat those kind of things. My husband took good care of her. And she is still worth 1500.00 hard to believe.

Yippeeee

Spirit, 09/21/2009

I purchased a used 2002 Solara, I had always wanted a Solara but had a car so didn't need another one. Once my car hit rock bottom I purchased the Solara. It drives brand new, it handles the road with care, smoothly, gracefully. The person I purchased the car from took great care of it...no scratches on the exterior and the interior didn't look worn at all. As I write this review, the check engine light has came on so I'm going to my favorite mechanic to check it out, hopefully nothing expensive but the car is 7yrs old so I guess i can expect a little something. I will let you know if it was something major. Buy Toyota Solara!!!

First car I will drive to the ground

Most reliable car , 07/20/2010

I just realized today that I put 188,000 miles into my Solara. Normally I replace my daily commuter cars every 2-3 years , but that changed with my Solara. Every single time when I come back from business trip where I rent new cars and get back to my car's driver seat I fill that I own better car. It is my second car which I have almost no problem with ( another one was 1999 Pathfinder ). Only regular maintenance.

The best

rallen, 04/14/2010

I have owned over 50 cars over 35 years of driving. This is the best. Average 33 mpg no matter how I drive. Over 125,000 miles and no problems. None. This car is even better than my 1983 300td Mercedes.

Best Car I've Ever Owned

Ladylilu, 03/01/2009

I bought my car new and would've kept it until the wheels fell off, but a Dodge turned left in front of me and killed the car. But WOW, I can't believe how well my Solara did in the accident! She protected me well. I had the car for almost 6.5 years, 144,000 miles. Maintenance: Oil changes, battery and tires, brakes, tensioner, belts, catalytic converter (at ~135K), regular factory maintenance. Car was amazing. I miss it! I would trust the car to get me anywhere. 27mpg city (always), 30-32mpg highway (depending on if I was driving or my husband) :o). Buy one if you can!

GOOD BUY

REDSOLARA, 04/26/2002

GREAT CAR FOR THE PRICE. THOUGHT ABOUT BUYING THE ACURA 3.2 TYPE S, BUT THE TOYOTA WAS A MUCH BETTER DEAL. TOYOTA OF ORLANDO GAVE A GOOD PRICE DUE TO VOLUME SALES. DRIVES GOOD, COMFORTABLE INTERIOR, NICE MOONROOF, GOOD JBL SOUND, COMFORTABLE PERF. LEATHER.

i love this car

bigatony, 05/05/2002

i have had the pleasure of driving lexus, toyota, honda, and other types of cars and after very careful consideration to buying my first new car im 100% positive that i made the perfect choice in buying my 2002 solara

Satisfied Customer

Satisfied Customer, 04/13/2010

Purchased used with 82,000 miles. Have driven 5,000 miles so far. Typical Toyota, feels like a new car. Paint and interior still look like new. Even my 18 year old son (a Jeep guy) admits it really drives nice. Glad we bought it!

Love this car!

princess7093, 07/08/2002

This was not my first choice for a car. I was set on a Passat or an Audi A4. On a trip to toyota for a friend I saw it and decided to test drive it. It is a great car! The ride is especially smooth and the acceleration is a lot of fun. I am not sorry that I got my Solara. Expect the always excellent quality typical of Toyotas.

Over all break even

nufdude, 07/30/2002

Over all break even.. Has good performance but in occassions the power lacks.. (v6-200hp engine). Fuel mileage is low comparatively.. stylish look so breaks even..

this car's ok, but not excellent

intelinside, 03/01/2002

have been driving a 2002 solara sle v6 for a month. it's very quiet and has ample power. interior is very nice and jbl sound system is also excellent. it gives a smooth ride but handling and suspension isn't as firm as I want it to be. nice looking car (front and side looks) but i don't like the new taillights. (i have been looking for after-market taillights with no success. let me know if you know where I can get a pair.)

It saved us

cyberplaid, 02/10/2003

The sad story is that I no longer have this car. Totaled. It good news is that it saved our lives. Unbelievable construction/quiet/responsive/roomy and can take a 60 mph rear end hit. Felt only like a bumper car hit us in the back. I'm replacing the 2002 with a 2003!!!

Sporty, economical and FUN!

DAVESQWIKTOY, 08/26/2003

The Solara SE-V6 is a great vehicle. It has crisp power and acceleration, responsive handling through tight curves, minimal roll and good braking. The Solara is fun and easy to drive and the controls are easy to access and operate. There is plenty of room for four and it is a great road car. I get lots of complements on its looks, comfort, power and smooth ride. The only downfall I can think of is the amount of road and wind noise you hear when the rear seats are folded down.

Must Buy Car!

TOYOTA DRIVER, 04/19/2005

Drive smoothly, no major problem after 80K miles. Only down size was the price, but everything else is perfect.

Nice car but poor steering

gordons, 02/07/2004

This is an excellent car (bought the 2002 SE V6 new)but the steering is fuzzy (doesn't track well). It takes a lot away from the driving experience for a sporty looking car with a V6.

great car

fliptop, 09/25/2004

Though I own a 4-cyl, automatic, the car gave me in excess of 35-mpg at 75 mph on a trip to Ny from Fla. Very comfortable, with 550 miles between fillups. the car is giving me about 30 mpg in everyday use. I'm 6'1", so I need the legroom of a midsize.

I love this car!!

Sherry2431, 03/28/2002

I bought a 2000 model Solara in January and have been driving it for 2 months. No problems so far. This is one of the best purchases I've ever made.

Best car I've ever owned

Patricia McLaughlin, 08/07/2016
SE 2dr Coupe (2.4L 4cyl 5M)

I bought my Camry Solara new in 2002 and would buy another if I could find one. I have had no problems with it. The only things that I've done were the recommended routine maintenance and tires. On a trip I get 32mpg and arrive feeling well due to the comfortable ride. It's good looking too. I can't ask for more. I now have 172,000 miles on it and feel that I should buy a newer car, but I still love this one. It owes me nothing!

Refined on a budget

FSTRTHABTR, 08/14/2006

Overall, I've only owned the car about 8 months, purchased it used for a private party, they kept records on everything this car went thru however, which was very little. To date, it's never been taken in for anything other than routine service. The only thing not absolutely pleasing about this car is the accommodation of someone of my height, at 6'2" I feel a little bit claustrophobic until I open the sunroof.

not impressed

zippo, 06/12/2002

Rode in one that of friend owns. Can you say rattles? Actually considered buying one and I'm satisfied I didn't. The ride and mileage wasn't very impressive either.

from corollas to solara

Richard Hughes, 05/25/2003

Moving from 2 previous Corollas, this is a big up. Smooth exceration, quiet ride and excellent sound system. From previous Toyota experience reliablity should not be a concern.

Load of satisfaction

Cassandra, 05/13/2016
SLE V6 2dr Coupe (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

Wonderful Touring Car

SilverSolara, 04/12/2002

2000 6cyl w/manual tranny. Extremely comfortable, almost luxurious ride. All reviews saying it is 'Lexus-like' are dead-on. The engine, brakes, tranny have been problem-free at 36K miles. After comparing it to CL/Integra, Accord, Cougar, Tiburon,and Seabring, I think I have the best car (that suits me) for the money.

My history of owning Toyotas

PMD, 04/17/2002

Just comments to share of my experience of owning Toyotas, they are one of the most reliable cars made. The only thing that I changed on my Toyota is the struts. I had Monroe struts installed and it improved the handling greatly and also the Monroe struts are cheaper in price compared to Toyota struts. I also put better tires on my Toyota, Michelin X ones.

Smoooooth Solara

Chop100, 04/22/2002

I traded-in a 2000 Volvo S70 for the Solara. The Solara wasn't on my radar screen but the salesman suggested I try it and I was impressed from the get-go. It doesn't take corners like a sports car, but the overall performance with the new 157 hp 4 cyl is surprisingly good.

Fun, Reliable Car

Kansas, 09/20/2008

I bought my Solara SLE new in July, 2002. Very reliable - I've put 70,000+ miles on it but have had NO mechanical problems whatsoever. Handles well - especially on curves. Average about 26- 27 MPG on highway. Handles very well in up to 6" of snow. V-6 has a lot of power. Overall fun car to drive!

02 Solara Coupe

Lunar Mist, 05/31/2002

We traded in a 1995 2-d Camry with 200k miles for the Solara. This makes the 5th Camry we've owned. Very satisfied with the vehicle. Beautiful machine both in style and performance.

Comfortable

mimi919, 06/01/2002

I have owned my SLE Solara 3 weeks now and have about 1,500 miles on it. I find the Solara to be a very comfortable car with fantastically comfortable seats,roomy interior front and back....handling at all speeds is very good with a quiet ride. Unfortunately the Solara does lack luxury feature and for that matter even standard features of todays cars such as auto locking door locks,trip computer,rear heat outlets,delay headlights,power passenger seat,ect.

Great first car

senioritis, 11/28/2009

Had the car for about two weeks now. I'm 17 years old and am satisfied with this car. I wish I had gotten the v6, but the 4-cylinder engine has proven to be more economical, getting a lot of miles to the gallon. Wish that it came with 17 inch rims like the SLE models. But other than that, it's a great car.

I love this car!

smhmkh, 06/16/2002

I bought my Solara used with only a little over 23,000 miles, and it was 3 years old. I love the smooth drive, the power, and the fully loaded interior. It hums with style. I am completely satisfied and would buy another Solara any day.

My Solara

Angela74, 07/09/2002

The Solara is responsive car. Handles well in any condition. The interior of the car is nice with the "wood" grain. Gives you a bit of luxury without the price. Road noise is not a problem in this car despite its low profile.

Don't listen to the complainers

earlgrey_44, 07/13/2002

Trouble free experience with this car. Very quiet and comfortable. Efficient engine. Handles nice.

review of my Solara

jmeitzen, 07/19/2002

Very pleased. The 5th Toyota I've owned has the most power AND gets the best gas mileage of them all, plus is safer, smoother, and roomier. Wish I got a sunroof though. The back seat is a little hard to get into from driver's side, but roomy for a 2-door, but a little short on head room. Needs option for a graphic EQ & a deck that plays a CD w/MP3's but sound system is still above avg. I prefer rear wheel drive. Torque steer not bad; level largely determined by tires. Turning circle not as tight as a 96 Camry's. Anyway, I'm not selling the car anytime soon. Excellent value for quality, comfort, and power for the price.

So Far Very Good

bioedwards, 07/23/2002

The Solara and the dealer have been the best I have experienced in a long time. The car has had no problems and has performed as expected. The only thing that I could complain about is the quality of the paint and the interior carpet. Both seem to be the cheapest possible.

soooo satisfied

sooo satisfied, 07/28/2002

After driving a 1998 BMW Z3, the Solara is a breath of fresh air. The Z3 was fun to drive, extremely dificult to live with, especially as my only source of transport. I love the Solara and have no regrets about trading in the Z3. The first thing I noticed about the Solara was that the steering is a little soft, but aside from that I'm sooo satisfied

Not a Shock, the average rating is a 9!

yogi22, 07/31/2002

Figures the average rating would be a 9. If I was aked that is what I would say. Top Down a 10, Top up an 8. When it's up you have to deal with convertible rattle (nothing when the radio is on). Down, it turns heads and performs well. This is NOT a Sports Car, so stop comparing it to Eclipse, Camaro and Stang. Compared to Cabrio and Sebring this car is the only choice. Toyota Service and Reliablity is priceless and what you pay more for it up front, you will get back when (and if) you trade it in.

LUXURY/SPORTS CAR CROSSOVER

INDYCAR, 08/05/2002

GREAT CAR! THINKS IT'S A LEXUS. THE SOLARA DEFINITELY HAS LEXUS SOUND DEADENING WHICH RESULTS IN LOW WIND/ROAD NOISE. THE V-6 HAS ENOUGH UMPH TO BREAK OUT OF A STANDING STOP WITH A MONTE CARLO BUT A FEW MORE HP WOULDN'T HURT. LIKE OTHERS, IT SEEMS TO DING EASILY ON THE SIDES. I CHOSE THE SOLARA OVER THE ACCORD, PASSAT, AND THE MAXIMA. THERE WERE NO OTHER CARS IN THEIR CLASS AND PRICE RANGE. WHEN I'M READY TO GIVE UP THE SPORTS CAR SIDE OF ME, I WOULD CONSIDER THE AVALON.

Average Car

SCR, 08/06/2002

After owning Honda's for many years, I decided to switch to Toyota because I liked the look of my Solara. There's plenty of room. It's smooth riding and handling. It has a luxurious look for the price. Its just not a fine tuned car. It doesn't have the precision of my Honda's. It's an excellent car for someone who wants a vehicle that you put the key in, put gas in it and go. Don't expect to get much more out of it. I compare it to a big econobox that you really can't get much more out of the engine or transmission. Nonetheless, everyone who gets into my car seems to love it. I wish I shared their enthusiasm since I'm the one who drives it everyday.

FUN AND SLEEK

jam, 09/02/2002

FUN TO DRIVE, SLEEK BUT AFFORDABLE, SPORTY BUT STILL ELEGANT

Love the New Solara

skd8433, 10/05/2002

First Solara I've owned. Fun, flirty, elegant, practical and efficient to drive. Good placement of controls. Excellent looking interior and exterior.

Not as good as expected

S A Holt, 12/05/2002

After five Camaros and reading Toyota's reviews, I decided to get one. The Toyota was more expensive, but I thought I would keep it longer due to reliabily claims. I really like overall look and handling of the car, but my experience has been less than great. The car has been in the shop more than my Camaro. I have had the Emissions Canister, Service Computer, Sun Visor, door panel and light in glove box replaced and I still have a rattle. This Toyota has had more rattles. The ride is very rough for a car this size (worse than Camaro). I can feel every bump in the road. I like the car, but I don't know if I would ever purchase one again.

what a car!

GoEnjoyIncubus, 03/03/2002

After drive this car theirs no way anyone could buy a 2dr Accord.

51050