Used 1999 Toyota Camry Solara Consumer Reviews - 103 Car Reviews | Edmunds

View reviews for a specific Camry Solara model:

Love my car!
By Michigan

1999 Toyota Camry Solara SLE V6 2dr Coupe

I bought my car new and do not plan on selling it for a few more years yet. I drive a lot and a comfortable drive is important to me. I get this comfortable ride in my Solara. I love to drive with the sun roof open! It is very reliable with only a few minor problems. 1. Tires need replacement every 2 yrs. 2. The air bag light keeps coming on. Plug under the front seat that keeps coming loose. The dealer would not show me the plug so I will have to look for it myself. When someone rides in the back, they will touch it with their feet and the light will come on. 3. I replaced the struts, they were expensive, but that brought that smooth ride I love so much back again.

Moon roof, smooth ride, large trunk, roomy back seat, great sound system, auto headlights, sporty style, and leather seats.

1. I would like to see the accessory charger (cig lighter) work when the engine is turned off. 2. Auto trunk release on key ring. 3. Air bag signal wire more secure so the light doesn't come on when someone sits in the back.

Great Car
By N8

1999 Toyota Camry Solara SLE V6 2dr Coupe

I have had my SLE for almost 5 years now and I am about to roll over 200,000 miles. I have had a few minor issues with the car but overall it has been an excellent car. The CV joint boot split and ran dry and I had to replace the axle twice. The first time it was still under warranty, and the second time was around 160,000 miles. Smooth ride, good gas mileage for a V6 (27-29 mpg on highway depending on how heavy my foot is!!) and plenty of get up and go. Runs like new!! I would recommend this car to anyone who drives a lot and plans to keep the car for a long time.

Looks, comfort and reliability.

None. I have been very pleased with my car.

Great Car!
By doran

1999 Toyota Camry Solara SE 2dr Coupe

We bought our Solara new. We have the 4 cylinder engine with automatic transmission. We now have about 116,000 miles on it, and the only problem, the water pump had to be replaced at 69,000. What a great car, best we've owned. Uses no oil and we get from 23-26 around town and up to 34 on the highway. It's a dream to drive whether in town or highway, smooth and quiet. Still feels like a new car. Plenty of power for highway cruising and acceleration. We've considered getting a new car, but why? Wouldn't be afraid to drive this cross country tomorrow.

Interior and exterior design. Smooth, comfortable quiet ride. Reliability.

Can't really think of any. More power would be nice, but they do make a V6 for that.

Great Solara
By Don S

1999 Toyota Camry Solara SE 2dr Coupe

Best car (of about 15) that I've ever owned. Only problems, driver's window mechanism, transmission solenoid, and struts - all replaced after 60k miles. Haven't needed to replace orginal brakes yet with 88k miles on vehicle. (20k miles cross country driving included.)

33mpg hwy, 25 city. Design is still in style.

Tricky getting into back seat. Altho back seat is comfortable, a 4 door would have helped.

Great car with lots of potential
By toy4x4boy

1999 Toyota Camry Solara SE V6 2dr Coupe

Bought my 1999 SE V6 5-speed used with 53,000 miles, now have 80,000. Besides the clutch that recently wore out, have had no problems. I have lowered the car and added 18s and this thing handles awesome now and the ride is way better than the floaty stock ride. Car has great power, never feels lacking, plenty of passing power. Fuel economy is not as good as I hoped though, lucky if I can break 27 mpg on the highway, I would think 30 mpg should be achievable with a 3.0 V6. Quailty is outstanding, interior materials are top rate mostly. Seats are very comfortable. Vehicles like this make you wonder why anyone would buy a new car, great value here.

V6, quality, dependability, roominess, looks... pretty much almost everything

Better fuel economy, factory sport package (18s, lower suspension, etc), remote truck release