Used 1999 Toyota Camry Solara Consumer Reviews - 103 Car Reviews | Edmunds

View reviews for a specific Camry Solara model:

JV'S '99 Solara
By jvj

1999 Toyota Camry Solara SE 2dr Coupe

This is the best car I have ever owned in over 40 years of buying them. I like some of the other reviewers are sorry that Toyota has decided to discontinue this model. I would have bought another if this one ever quits on me. I like coupes and it really fills the bill for me. The 4 cylinder has been just fine. Good on gasoline and has been very dependable.

I like the size and weight of this car and how dependable it has been. Large gas tank and plenty of trunk room.

I probably would not change anything. I would not have changed the body style to the after 2003 style.

Best car I ever bought
By travis aka superman

1999 Toyota Camry Solara SE V6 2dr Coupe

My God I am so grateful for this car I had it for 4 yrs now. Bought it with 75,000 now have 185,000 from the Toyota dealership. Only problems I've had is the starter, EGR valve, window motor, and a slight transmission leak but otherwise it have been a GREAT car. My goal is to get 400,000 miles out of this car.

Roomy, good on gas, and reliable.

Improve exterior and interior design.

Solara- Excellent Long Ranger
By Gene

1999 Toyota Camry Solara SE V6 2dr Coupe

I keep cars a long time. My '97 Solara should break my record for longevity. Brought it new and it now has 171200 miles on it. It is also a 5-speed (special ordered) V6, and the clutch is still original and still tight. Mileage is about 33mpg if I can keep my speed below 65mph. Reality has been excellent and I only had a suspension problem, which took Toyota several attempts, but was finally fixed. If you can get one used, it is an excellent choice.

My 5-speed, because I know that there are very few around. Even service departments are shocked when I bring it in. It helps me with the gas mileage.

Nothing! It is fine and they have looked good with each new iteration.

Great all-around car
By Derrick

1999 Toyota Camry Solara SLE V6 2dr Coupe

I bought my 1999 SLE in 2004 with 68k on it. Last night (6/25/09), I finally traded it in as it approached 149k. In the time I had it, I did a tune-up at 90k (more of a preventative thing). At that time, one O2 sensor went out and a little after that I had to replace the front brake rotors. Otherwise, it was simply regular maintenance. The styling held up over time and it was a very comfortable car. It was no hot rod, but it was never meant to be. I really enjoyed owning the car and only traded it because I wanted a hatchback.

Solara. The best of all Toyotas
By Alan

1999 Toyota Camry Solara SLE V6 2dr Coupe

I've owned 15 cars in my life, always changing every 2 years because I was not satisfied. That is until I bought my 1999 Toyota Solara SLE V6. I've found no need to get rid it it. After 10 years, it is perfect. Never in my life have I see a better built car, inside and out than the Solara. Sadly Toyota does not know a good thing when it see it. They will be sorry for the cancellation of the Solara. I intended to repeat buy Solara for life. It is not likely I will buy any other Toyota. The Solara was the only one with class and style. When I go away for vacation, I consider driving my Solara to be part of the vacation...part of the pleasure. Never have I driven a more superb vehicle.

The Leather, The dash quality..The wood trim which Toyota is too cheap to install in all its vehicles. The moon roof. EVERYTHING. EVERYTHING inside and out.

None. The Solara is an anomaly of perfection, never again to be seen.