Used 2009 Toyota Camry Hybrid Sedan Consumer Reviews - 151 Car Reviews | Edmunds

Consumer Reviews

2009 Toyota Camry Hybrid Sedan

Base 2.4L 4-cyl. Hybrid CVT Automatic - (151 reviews )

Just do it!
By Flyer

2009 Toyota Camry Hybrid Sedan 4dr Sedan (2.4L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

This car is simply superb. I work in a vehicle-related field, and I have seen crash/wreck photos of Camrys - people walk away from wrecks because this car sacrifices itself to save its occupants. I was searching to replace my Jetta diesel (a maintenance intensive vehicle) but wanted to up-size from the Prius. The Camry hybrid is for those people who hate waste and love efficiency, like myself. I am a caregiver, and the Camry has enough space to allow people with disabilities the room to swing in and out of the vehicle easily (unlike the new Jetta TDI, which has a much smaller interior). My father, a solid diesel head, was sold on the Camry hybrid within thirty minutes. Simply impressive.

Fuel efficiency for a vehicle that weights 3700lbs is amazing. Crash results are impressive. This car lets you get on with life without having to worry about maintenance, reliability, safety. I love zooming up to 40mph, easing off the accelerator, and watching the mpg needle swing back to 60mpg!

Toyota needs to backlight the door switches - hard to find buttons at night. The trunk lid does not have a hand insert where you can insert your hand to close the lid - a minor annoyance. Be sure to read the manual - you will learn the nuances of systems in this car.

Amazing Fuel Economy
By D Kramer

2009 Toyota Camry Hybrid Sedan 4dr Sedan (2.4L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

I needed a car with at least 30 MPG, but with style and some element of fun. I made a good choice and after almost 7000 miles, I'm averaging over 38 MPG. The trick to this exceptional mileage, almost all highway, is to use the cruise control. I am getting just over 600 miles out of each tank. Thank you, Toyota!

Fabulous MPG, placement and operation of navigation system, Bluetooth, interior and exterior styling, decent acceleration, good road manners, day-time running lights. Good cabin storage.

Driver's seat is not as comfortable as it should be. Center console/storage is set too far back to be a good arm rest. Needs electrochromatic driver side mirror. Some controls and vents require you to lean forward to access.

Our first Hybrid
By tdb

2009 Toyota Camry Hybrid Sedan 4dr Sedan (2.4L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

We purchased the car at the end of March. Most of our driving is in the Minneapolis metro area. No trips over 100 miles one way. We like the car a lot and are happy with the purchase. It's an enjoyable car to drive if you like quiet and good handling. We're averaging 38-40 mpg per tank. We too have had the Check Engine light issue concerning the gas cap. (4 times in 7400 miles.) This past Wednesday night our dealership told us that Toyota will be coming out soon with a Tech Service Bulletin. The gas tank neck is faulty and has to be replaced. Ours is scheduled for next week. Supposedly with a new, improved one.

Roomy interior with leg room for rear passengers; very quiet drive train AND we have no squeaks or rattles; JBL stereo system with IPOD hookup; keyless starting

A larger trunk would be nice but not if it takes space from the interior. Fix my gas cap issue and I'm very happy with the car.

Incredible savings
By Heff

2009 Toyota Camry Hybrid Sedan 4dr Sedan (2.4L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

I traded my second Cadillac CTS for the Camry Hybrid. I was worried about what I considered to be a huge step down for the sake of fuel efficiency. I was wrong. It's not a race car, but the Hybrid is still an exceptional ride. The Hybrid shifts flawlessly between the electric and gas engines with greater smoothness than most transmissions. To hedge my bet, I had every available option included in my Camry. Wow! The fit and finish match my CTS stitch for stitch and the sound system is incredible. Best of all, I am buying LESS than half the gasoline I used in the CTS. Whatever the price is at the pump, I'm saving half. Buying this car is the right thing to do.

Fit and finish of the leather upholstery. Sound system is exceptional. Quiet ride of a much larger car.

Drip rails. When you open the doors any water on the car falls into the passenger compartment and onto the seats. Fold-down rear seat to extend trunk space for larger cargo.

My first Camry Hybrid
By TCH_Driver

2009 Toyota Camry Hybrid Sedan 4dr Sedan (2.4L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

I have had this car for 3 months. This car is reliable. The navigation is great. It has a spacious interior. I routinely get 38+ MPG with this car. Trunk space is limited compared to a regular Camry due to all the batteries, but I don't mind. The engine is underpowered compared to a regular Camry, but this is normal for a hybrid car. If you understand the limitations of this hybrid, you will be happy with it. I love the low fuel consumption and the infrequent trips to the gas station.

Low fuel consumption. Spacious interior.

The interior is cheaply built. I had to remove the driver's side overhead handle because it was making too much rattling noise. Currently the driver's side vent makes annoying rattling noises during normal driving. This is very distracting. I really wish Toyota could build a comfortable car.