Used 2009 Toyota Camry Hybrid Consumer Reviews - 151 Car Reviews | Edmunds

Consumer Reviews

2009 Toyota Camry Hybrid

Base 2.4L 4-cyl. Hybrid CVT Automatic - (151 reviews )

2009 Camry Hybrid
By Toyota Camry Hybrid

2009 Toyota Camry Hybrid 4dr Sedan (2.4L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

I bought this car in July, 2009 over a Prius because I wanted a larger car. I love the mileage. I recently drove to Canada along I5 keeping to the speed limit and I got 41 MPG and 550 miles on a tank of gas. This is much better than the published highway mileage of 34 MPG. I quickly noticed a rattle caused by the dash console. Also the center console extends much too far into the back seat, so only a child can sit comfortably in the center seat. Toyota has acknowledged the driver's floor mat problem that seems to be the cause of accelerator sticking and potentially causing serious accidents. Yet Toyota still hasn't recalled it for repairs.

mileage

Need rear cup holders. Reduce the center console intrusion on rear seats. Quality has declined recently.

Awesome all around car!
By shannon

2009 Toyota Camry Hybrid 4dr Sedan (2.4L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

Just wanted to let everyone know what a wonderful car this has been so far. Very reliable and super smooth and comfortable Lexus like ride. Hell, this car is better b/c it is same parts, one third less price. Slow off the line but kicks in big time like a turbo, and throws you in the seat, really. The trick is to do a rolling start then this heavy granny getter rolls! Only problem so far has been gas cap loosening. No biggy, just return extra clicks and engine light will eventually go off. Stereo rocks. Upgraded with aftermarket hid's and foglights, that really made it Lexus like. Totally love this car for many years to come. 34 avg. mile per gallon. Thanks Toyota, love you! Always!

Everything, mileage and power, spoiler and hid's really set it apart.

Brakes are kinda quirky, takes too much pressure to slow down a big heavy car like this. But do understand that is b/c of regenerative braking used to help get those awesome mpg's.

Excellent Car for the Environment
By nukenight

2009 Toyota Camry Hybrid 4dr Sedan (2.4L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

Bought in Jan and traded Maxima SL for Hybrid. Great mileage, excellent ride, comfortable. Only complaint, want more luxury features. Mileage is dependent on season (AC cuts it down). Got 41 mpg on long trip to CA in August. Plenty of pep for passing and rides exceptionally well. Smooth transition from electric to gas and back. Almost luxury level interior. Wish for auto seat/mirror/steering adjust from Maxima, but other than that, my wife loves it, and she hates most cars!!!

Auto sync bluetooth with my cell phone, good stereo, comfortable leather interior, remote start/keyless ignition.

Maintenance reminders, auto seat/mirror/steering adjust controls, better interior materials, easier to clean cup holder.

I will never buy another Toyota AGAIN!!!
By joshuacoombs

2009 Toyota Camry Hybrid 4dr Sedan (2.4L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

This car stinks!!! Had to replace the tires at 20k miles. Toyota said the tires are not them but bridgestone. Bridgestone said the tires have no warranty but tried to sell me new ones for $650. The car has been in the shop twice in less then two years. The brakes had to be fixed at 15k miles, the radio at 17k miles. I will never buy anther Toyota again! And I suggest you don't make the same mistake I did.

The mpg. I avg 36 to 40.

The whole car. It needs to run for more then 1 year before it starts to break down. A Ford can do that but not a Toyota.

Love Everything but the Engine Light
By JC48

2009 Toyota Camry Hybrid 4dr Sedan (2.4L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

We are thrilled w/ the Toyota Camry Hybrid. We consistently get over 37 mpg. It's quiet and once you get accustomed to what all the dials and buttons do, you just have to love it! I am very proud of the gas conservation I am able to attain. So, Thank You Toyota! I've been a Toyota owner for 30 years & I've always had great performance. The only problem I have is with the Engine Light. It keeps coming on and I notice the gas cap loosens up. I'm vigilant to tighten it when filling up, but it still seems to loosen. I'm concerned, and I appreciate seeing others are having a similar problem. I'll email my dealer today. Thanks everyone here for your info.

Bluetooth, garage door opener, great stereo. Engine shuts down when idle--feels so good to not be wasting gas energy. QUIET. Shows me what is going on with my engine and gas usage :-). You just have to love it.

Beverage holder is too close to Stick Shift and makes me wonder if a drip of coffee could get in there and damage it?