Used 2009 Toyota Camry Hybrid Base Consumer Reviews - 151 Car Reviews | Edmunds

Consumer Reviews

2009 Toyota Camry Hybrid

Base 2.4L 4-cyl. Hybrid CVT Automatic - (151 reviews )

I'm sold (3 times)!
By elsa3

2009 Toyota Camry Hybrid 4dr Sedan (2.4L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

We reluctantly bought a new 2007 Camry Hybrid after test-driving a Prius, as the frame of the Prius' hatchback blocked the rear view and the seats were not comfortable. I was sure that I'd be disappointed with the Camry since I'd really wanted the Prius, but I was wrong; the Camry is the best car we've ever owned, and we've owned a lot of cars!
We were so impressed that we have since bought a 2009 and 2011 Camry Hybrid as well, and still drive all 3.
We get between 40 and 42 mpg and put about 15,000 miles a year on these cars. Most impressive is the acceleration available when passing; I feel safer in these cars than in any I've had before.

50K and still going strong
By dkgoren

2009 Toyota Camry Hybrid 4dr Sedan (2.4L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

My 09 Camry Hybrid is approaching 3 years old and just hit 50K miles.
The car has been extremely reiliable, with no mechanical failures and just doing basic maintance (oil changes every 5-7K, tire rotations, etc).
I live in Maine, so in the winter, the mileage does drop to around 32, but in the summer, it can be as high as about 38 - that's not to say that I can't get above that for shorter amounts of time, but I've yet to have a full tank average more than about 39MPG......I'm still very happy with the mileage, especially with current gas prices.

The JBL stereo, MP3 jack, steering wheel controls for audio and climate, bluetooth for phone, heated seats and the key fob.

The OEM tires were aweful in the snow. I've since switched to aftermarket tires that have been much better, although before those I purchased snow tires w/ wheels.......if the original tires were even halfway decent in the snow, I probably wouldn't have needed the snows.......

Brakes
By Ilene

2009 Toyota Camry Hybrid 4dr Sedan (2.4L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

Love the car except for the brakes. This is my first hybrid car. When I have to panic-stop in this car, I apply what I think is normal pressure and the car screeches and grabs the road too violently. It really scares me. Does anyone else have this problem?

A plus!
By joe-Cr

2009 Toyota Camry Hybrid 4dr Sedan (2.4L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

Extremely quiet. Fun to drive. If you drive right it will exceed suggested mileage per gallon (up to 46) Stylish Body and gorgeous appeal. Sorry Edmunds but Camry Hybrid is way better than your rate. It's not the same to drive for a couple of weeks or less than a full year, like me. I recommend to buy it.

JBL monster radio with 6 CD Changer. Intelligent entrance. Buttons on wheel.

Of course the cheap plastic dash and inner door covers. Toyota will have to find a better supplier.

Still Lovin' It
By Denise

2009 Toyota Camry Hybrid 4dr Sedan (2.4L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

I wrote a complimentary review of my Camry hybrid soon after buying it, but thought I should update for those who research to see how owners feel after the "honeymoon" period is over. I have had my Camry for nearly 2 years, 19,000 miles, and I can honestly say that it has exceeded my expectations. It handles well, even on ice and snow. Gas mileage ranges from 37 (cold weather) to 41 mpg. Quiet, comfortable, low maintenance. It's the car everyone in the family wants to drive. I have high standards and am tight with a dollar. I get in this car daily and think, "So glad this is mine!" Don't regret a penny of it. Good luck, folks. I hope you end up loving your car as much as I love mine.

Gas mileage, keyless entry, quiet and comfortable ride

Deeper cup holders. Front passenger seat belts are positioned so it's hard for my elderly parents to grab to pull down. I am hoping the RAV4 or another small SUV model will be made in a hybrid option when I am ready to replace this car.