Used 2009 Toyota Camry Hybrid Consumer Reviews - 151 Car Reviews | Edmunds

Consumer Reviews

2009 Toyota Camry Hybrid

Base 2.4L 4-cyl. Hybrid CVT Automatic - (151 reviews )

Yes, we are pleased
By SE TN TCH

2009 Toyota Camry Hybrid 4dr Sedan (2.4L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

We were forced to purchase a vehicle after our Honda Ody van was rear-ended @ 60 MPH. With gas nearing $5/gal, we seriously began looking @ hybrids. No other mfr has developed the time and resources into hybrids. We found one owner who was nearing 200K on a Prius with no hybrid system related issues. Being involved in such an accident took the Prius out of consideration (no rear end/overhang). We found our "base" TCH. The first tank home was 41 MPG highway. But that is NOT where the TCH excels-we jumped from 17 MPG in mixed cycle driving in the van to 38 MPG!

Build quality, safety, green without appearing so.

Would be hard, but the trunk space loss due to the batteries. We drove a Camry SE and it handles great (less body roll and pitch). Offer a sport suspension option for TCH buyers!

TCH decision confirmed -again
By SE TN TCH

2009 Toyota Camry Hybrid 4dr Sedan (2.4L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

We were not going to purchase a replacement for our '02 Honda Odyssey van for another 3 years, but it was totaled in a severe accident. We were on a 4 month wait list for a mid-optioned Prius. Due to size & crash-worthiness concerns with the Prius, we purchased a base '09 TCH. The first tank back home at 65 MPH was 41 MPG. In first 3K miles, we average 38 MPG in mixed cycle driving. This is an increase of 21 MPG over the van (17 MPG in same cycle).

It's like a new $25K Lexus! Good price on base TCH, great build quality, drive train technology, fuel economy, comfort, quietness.

Less body roll in turns, additional seat lateral support. Increase trunk space. Home link was not standard on our base car.

Efficency with Utilitarian Style
By john

2009 Toyota Camry Hybrid 4dr Sedan (2.4L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

The 2009 Camry hybrid is my first Toyota. It drives like my old BMW 528i, and has decent acceleration but not mind blowing speed. The economics of having a hybrid are the selling point. If you think gas will hit 5 $/gallon and you drive a lot, then this is a car for you. The looks are those of a non snobby Camry, so you won't feel guilty like in a new Mercedes. It seems to me the workmanship is the same as a German car. I tried the Matrix and found that it was more flimsy, and not worth the price.

Navigation system, and voice activation are nice. however the blue tooth antenna is very weak, and that make it difficult to use at times.

Have a more potent blue tooth antenna in the car. Have better blue tooth link with the phone. Have easier access for MP3 player. And add the 120 volt plug to plug in standard home electric equipment. If the matrix can have a 120 volt plug, then a Camry should also.

A good change from the E320
By BrainInDC

2009 Toyota Camry Hybrid 4dr Sedan (2.4L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

The Camry hybrid is fun to drive in crowded DC metro area. Very practical. Nice change to regular gas filling up 13 gallons every 500 miles. I love it. Every now and then I miss the stability feeling of the E320, but I also enjoy the "sportiness" driving feeling of the Camry. I also enjoy the quietness and how smart this car is. It is full of gadgets and will be paying off over the years. Also I see from the maintenance manual that it's an almost maintenance free car.

The navigator is so smart, although I haven't figured out how to work it out through voice commands. But it is MUCH better than what I have on the Mercedes ML500. The AC is also great, although it is electric. But that's probably why its performance is independent from engine speed.

JBL audio is not that good. Not anywhere near the Mercedes Bose. Sound is flat. Also suspension gives me the feel of a very small light car. So, bottom line: audio and suspension are cheap.

I heart my TCH even tho I didnt want to
By cocogirl

2009 Toyota Camry Hybrid 4dr Sedan (2.4L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

I was determined to hate this car but felt its necessity. I've debated hybrids 4 years but was disappointed in lack of creature comforts (sunroof) & styling. I thought I wanted another luxury car (I had a Infiniti G35) but live in Hawaii where gas got 2 be $5/g premium & I couldn't justify working to drive a symbol. The first day I hated it (it seemed like a mom car & I am so the opposite) & gas mileage was awful (<20 mpg). I cried & thought I made an expensive mistake. I gave it a week & actually fell hard for it. It's smooth, spacious, luxurious, zippy & a convo starter. I avg 37.2 - 99.9/tank (yup 99, downhill).

I love JBL, cant believe it's better than Bose. Engine braking took a sec to master & use it more than the G's triptronic shifting. I love the quiet & I thought I would miss a deep v6 growl. Blown away at amount of power when needing to go fast. Tank lasts over 2 weeks. Doesn't seem mom-like after all.

Placement of eco a/c button is really odd (inadvertently open gas cap a lot). Cruise control lever is also strangely placed. Wish front seats hugged a bit more (I'm really small & slide around them). Steering could be a bit tighter. Gentle wind gusts really knock the car. Aux outlet area's too deep.