Used 2009 Toyota Camry Hybrid Consumer Reviews - 151 Car Reviews | Edmunds

Consumer Reviews

2009 Toyota Camry Hybrid

Base 2.4L 4-cyl. Hybrid CVT Automatic - (151 reviews )

Still working on the gas mileage
By Retired in Illinois

2009 Toyota Camry Hybrid 4dr Sedan (2.4L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

We waited almost 4 months to get our TCH but haven't regretted the purchase (even though gas prices have come down since we ordered it). We had a Camry before this one and were always happy with Toyota. For a recent trip, we ended up buying two smaller suitcases as our two large ones wouldn't fit in the trunk. We aren't getting the gas mileage we had hoped and plan to take it back to the dealer to see what's going on. It seems like the gas engine comes on even when we are going slow, so it may need some adjustment. The lights above the visors shine down, not in your face, so you can use them at night without distracting the driver.

We love the keyless entry on the doors and trunk and smart-key start. I never take the keys from my purse. The heated seats are great in Chicago's cold weather - it warms your lower back too. The 6 CD player is hidden after the CDs are inserted which is a nice feature.

I wish it had memory settings for seats and mirrors as my husband is 6'2" and I am 5'2". We have a Murano with pedals that move forward - in the THC, I sit closer to the steering wheel than I'd like. Also wish the side body molding was a standard feature.

Excellent Value/Cannot be Disappointed
By David S.

2009 Toyota Camry Hybrid 4dr Sedan (2.4L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

Since buying the car in early October we have put about 6000 miles on it, including a 4500 mile trip from the Central Coast of California to South Padre Island, Texas and return. I kept careful records on the trip to Texas and my overall mileage was 33.8 mpg. Understand that many of these miles were at 75-85 mph across West Texas, AZ and NM. It is a great driver, long days on the interstate were comfortable. On a twisty two-lane mountain road in New Mexico it showed that it is not a BMW, but I knew that. The trunk is more than adequate carrying two carry-ons, a small duffle, and other items. This car is a technological marvel.

Of course gas mileage, but combined with comfort and performance. This car has tremendous acceleration, given a 4 cylinder with the hybrid boost. The grey mica (believe that is the color) with alloy wheels (1st upgrade package) is very elegant.

The interior quality could be spiffed up.

Why Doesn't Everyone Own One?
By Bill/Connecticut

2009 Toyota Camry Hybrid 4dr Sedan (2.4L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

My TCH (09) has 2K miles on it so it is somewhat broken in. It is an amazing car and I am very pleased with my choice. It was this or a Volvo S80, and the MPG won the day. Having now driven it for awhile I am amazed that the added weight helps with the smoothness of the ride. It reminds me of riding in a friend's Lexus ES350. The CVT took me a little time to get used to, but I am figuring it out that there is not upshift like a regular automatic transmission. Test drive one and see for yourself, this is the car of the future.

MPG, ride, comfort of leather seats, roominess front and back.

Offer wood dash from factory

Technological Marvel
By Houston

2009 Toyota Camry Hybrid 4dr Sedan (2.4L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

The Camry Hybrid is a technological marvel enabling more efficient, but safe and comfortable, transportation (reminds me of when CDs replaced records; the hybrid is an ingenious automotive development). The vehicle accelerates well with the combined electric and gas engine. The electric engine works to conserve fuel in all phases of driving (converts kinetic energy to electric). Trunk holds my golf clubs and more. The hybrid is the perfect urban car, thriving on stop-and-go traffic. It is quiet. Relaxed drive. Maintenance on the first 100K miles should be nothing but routine. Drives and looks like a Lexus ES 300, but costs much less. I got a lot of value.

Hybrid system an industry changer! No longer as dependent on the pump. Emissions of the gas engine alone cleaner than Houston air. Relaxing to drive; benefit from stop-and-go traffic. Good acceleration, even from 70mph. JBL stereo & bluetooth (UP upgrade) are great for the $. Leather seats great

The interior is plastic and suede-like on doors & roof; but not a big deal as these are not high wear areas and don't really notice. Little soft in suspension like a Lexus, compared to German sedan, but fine. Can't complain when so much value, reliability and 8 year 100K hybrid component warranty.

Five Months In - Pretty Impressive
By Worcester County

2009 Toyota Camry Hybrid 4dr Sedan (2.4L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

Got the base Hybrid in late July. Consistently 41-42 mpg in 40% hwy/60% local roads commuting in Central MA (lots of rolling hills). Now temperatures closer to freezing getting 39-40 mpg. Still beating the pants off the EPA estimate! Highly recommend this. Why get a Prius and be cramped (unless you want 50 mpg)? Car does three things: gives gas engine little holidays including stopped time and initial take-offs (the most inefficient for the gas), doesn't waste momentum- recovers the energy from braking to power the hybrid motor, and gives you all sorts of feedback on how to drive it most efficiently- kind of like playing a video game (though you can ignore it and just enjoy driving)

Hybrid system, great color, VDIM- this car handles well. Previously drove 03 Camry LE- they are quite different (old LE was a little bigger interior and trunk). But this is better engineered car- love it.

The main limitation is the trunk which is almost exactly 2/3s the normal 08/09 Camry trunk.