Used 2008 Toyota Camry Hybrid Sedan Consumer Reviews - 77 Car Reviews | Edmunds

Consumer Reviews

2008 Toyota Camry Hybrid Sedan

Base 2.4L 4-cyl. Hybrid CVT Automatic - (77 reviews )

Great Car
By Matt

2008 Toyota Camry Hybrid Sedan 4dr Sedan (2.4L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

I have over 51,000 miles on my 2008 hybrid and have had no problems. I got the base model with the only option being floor mats. Overall, I average about 31-36 mpg in city/hwy combined driving. I'm tall and there is plenty of leg room and the seats are quite comfortable. It is quick, comfortable and dependable.

At times, both gas and electric motors kick in providing a good punch when needed.

A little better quality for the standard radio/CD player.

No Problems and none expected
By thomasw828

2008 Toyota Camry Hybrid Sedan 4dr Sedan (2.4L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

21 months later and 22k on the Camry, we have had no problems and no regrets. Average mileage is 35 in town and up to 41 on road. Another reviewer complained about body dings...Buy the body side moldings (we did)!!! These should be standard. The best time to buy is at the end of the month or in our case the end of the year, got an immediate 8% off sticker and a great $ for Lexus trade- in.

Nav system is adequate, but the update disc's are very expensive. Love the leather, comfort and quietness of vehicle.

Cruise control has too much lag to keep speed even, always shifting to overdrive to catch up.

Great Car
By Jeff in PA

2008 Toyota Camry Hybrid Sedan 4dr Sedan (2.4L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

For people who want a full-sized car but also want to be environmentally responsible, this is for you. This is my first Toyota, and after owning it for a year and a half, I understand what others have been raving about. Driving around Pittsburgh where mountains abound, I can still get better than 40 mpg while having plenty of room for three passengers (three adults in the back is a little tight). Because the hills are steeper in town, I actually get slightly lower in-town mileage (low- to mid-30s; hybrids typically shine in town), but it's still better than other vehicles I've owned by 10+ mpg. I haven't had a single mechanical issue and have only done standard preventative maintenance.

With the leather package (which includes heated seats), automatic lights, 400W JBL stereo (which sounds great), Bluetooth phone hookup, and other bells and whistles, I feel very spoiled in the car. It's not Mercedes luxury, but then again, it's half the price of my parents' Mercedes.

Electric mode is only for *very* gentle driving; some drivers might have a tough time adjusting to this. A plug-in version would be nice. Built-in headrest DVD would allow the family to take this on long trips. Lithium battery might improve trunk space which is adequate but not stellar.

Car Saved My Life
By MK in NS

2008 Toyota Camry Hybrid Sedan 4dr Sedan (2.4L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

After an accident where an oncoming car spun out and into me I was thrilled and disappointed that it was our TCH that I was driving-we have two other Toyotas. The car did everything that it was designed to do. Only the airbags necessary deployed and the front end, including hood, crumpled as it was supposed to. I walked away with minor injuries. LOVE this car so much that when it was written off we bought a 2009. It had more than 100,000kms on it with no problems at all. Can't imagine a better vehicle.

Aside from the bells and whistles, comfortable drive and great fuel economy I'd have to say the safety features!

None

Great MPG in relation to comfort/style
By MO in NY

2008 Toyota Camry Hybrid Sedan 4dr Sedan (2.4L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

I love this car! I'm averaging 37-49 mpg in spring/fall, 35-37 in summer (using A/C) and 30-33 mpg in winter (when using heating elements and going faster than I should to keep mpg higher). It's true mpg is much lower in winter, but it's the same as with my '99 Subaru Outback, which averaged only 18-22 mpg AT BEST in winter. It seems engines work harder in winter to warm up the engine & keep it warm (also gasohol in winter doesn't help matters). I love the constant consumption, energy, etc. read-outs. This car helps you to learn how to save gas and operate it most efficiently. I was too uncomfortable in the Prius (it was like driving a tin can), but I bought the Camry instead.

Very comfortable interior and excellent mpg. This car easily seats five people with room to spare (mpg does go down as you add more people & luggage--but it would do the same in any other loaded- down van or car). GPS/Nav system is OK; a Garmin may be better, but I like mine built-in to the dashboard

GPS/Nav system c/b better; sometimes it cannot find an actual address (incl. my own house). I love the styling of the new Venza better than Camry, but Venza doesn't come as a hybrid. The sedan looks "boat-ish" to me-exterior is not that appealing. After 1.5 years, no problems yet with this car!