Used 2008 Toyota Avalon Consumer Reviews - 108 Car Reviews | Edmunds

Consumer Reviews

2008 Toyota Avalon

View reviews for a specific Avalon model:

Reliable, powerful, highway cruiser
By Tony N.J.

2008 Toyota Avalon XLS 4dr Sedan (3.5L 6cyl 6A)

Bought my XLS used with 120k, now has 190k. Repairs/maintenance - alternator, new battery, AC recharge, tires, oil changes, brake pads. that's it, just wear and tear stuff! .....Nav/JBL. Love the sound system, hate the Nav. Buttons to navigate the screen is ridiculously horrible. No car is perfect but I really like this car. ....Best features are comfortable highway cruiser. Great on gas, 31 hwy. takes regular gas. Quick car with powerful smooth engine. Quiet ride. Cavernous interior space. Reclining (slightly) rear seats. Big trunk. Very reliable, not expensive to service. Precise dual/auto climate controls. Dual AC charger. The cons- thin sheet metal, non folding side mirrors, blind spot, gas door and trunk door buttons next to each other and unlit. I get gas and pop the trunk open instead of the gas door. Weak paint, no radio volume level read out. Telescopic steering wheel needs to come out more. Dash cracks, weak rear defroster, ride to soft, handles like a boat, throttle response slow, loses throttle, hesitant turning mid way around a street corner. All cars have imperfections but still a great car.

I'll be happier when I sell it
By Brett

2008 Toyota Avalon XLS 4dr Sedan (3.5L 6cyl 6A)

Some pros are that there is a tremendous amount of interior space, especially in the back seat and the gas mileage is excellent for such a roomy car that has plenty of power. Cons are the steering/suspension make it seem like you are driving a 1970's Buick - float, float, wallow, float some more. My car has both the headlight and dash cracking issue that the previous owners never got repaired under the recalls. Plus, there are the typical Toyota annoyances - there is no retained accessory power, so your radio goes off and your windows don't work as soon as you shut off the key, you can't lock the car until all the doors are shut, secondary controls are unlit at night and impossible to see without bending all sorts of ways, the doors will relock if you don't open them in time, etc. Maybe I just got too used to the thinking behind GM engineering, but I really appreciate the little things included in my Chevy that this Toyota does have, even though it stickered for $10,000 more than my Chevy when new. Overall, this Avalon is acceptable if you have few other options but I will be getting rid it within the next year and buying another GM car.

Best car ever
By Lin Thig

2008 Toyota Avalon Limited 4dr Sedan (3.5L 6cyl 6A)

A great car to buy.

What more can you say about the toyota avalon????
By Michael A Beard

2008 Toyota Avalon XLS 4dr Sedan (3.5L 6cyl 6A)

We just have not had any complaints. It runs and looks great. If it had AWD we would not consider another car.

2nd Avalon
By Lee Cantrelle

2008 Toyota Avalon Limited 4dr Sedan (3.5L 6cyl 6A)

This is my second Avalon, first was 2001. This car fits me for size, 6'2", and still allows comfortable seating in the back. I sold my other one with 140k Miles and the guy drove it to 400k. I have 200k on this 2008. The only issue this car ever gave me was a dead battery. I love the gadgets in this car for laser cruise control and the other creature comforts. I do my regular maintenance as I drive a lot. I am looking at a third one as they have served me well.