Used 2008 Toyota Avalon Sedan Consumer Reviews - 105 Car Reviews | Edmunds

Consumer Reviews

2008 Toyota Avalon Sedan

View reviews for a specific Avalon model:

Don't buy an Avalon
By Sheri

2008 Toyota Avalon Sedan XLS 4dr Sedan (3.5L 6cyl 6A)

Don't buy an Avalon unless you want to be unsafe due to these problems: Transmission does not shift properly, causing severe hesitation and lunging, every single minute you are driving. The car will not drive in even a skiff of snow! Cannot disengage the traction control. My driveway is about a 25 degree incline, and it will not go up it. The car is basically "skating" on roads that are not dry. The exterior trim mouldings on roof have come loose and subsequently lost on the freeway, had to replace at my cost, not covered by any warranty. The sound system speakers are very poor design. An old VW has a better one. What a piece of junk! Stay Away! Shame on Toyota.

reclining back seat

Oil leak, paint mismatch, a Toyota?
By kwillliams

2008 Toyota Avalon Sedan Touring 4dr Sedan (3.5L 6cyl 6A)

Bought new, oil leak, difficult for dealer to determine source. Eventually block replaced. Paint does not match. Fenders do not meet bumpers as well as one would expect in a top of the line Toyota. I would never buy this car again.

New Avalon … 25,000 miles later
By Skip

2008 Toyota Avalon Sedan Touring 4dr Sedan (3.5L 6cyl 6A)

Well 25,000 miles later, I still like the car. I don't love it, but very close. It's a huge step up from my 2008 Camry (which was a great car, just not comfortable enough on the long trips). I'd like to see the finish get tougher in the newer models. My paint seems very easy to scratch. Stock tires are getting near replacement. Most folks who ride in the car... love it! I will have a trip coming up, where we will have 4 adults and we'll be putting on 3,000 - 4,000 in the 2 weeks vacation, and then folks can tell me what they think of the car. I WILL be looking to trade it at the end of the year, as I will have somewhere between 30,000 - 40,000 miles on it. 2010 Avalon, time will tell.

- Heated Seats - Headlights - Trunk Space - Overall looks of the car

Fix the front seats! The leather is sewn as such, that the seams hit my legs in areas, that put them to sleep, and or worse yet, just plain hurts when driving any great distance. - Fix surging when pressing on gas pedal - Make quieter at highway speeds - Make finish tougher.

My first Toyota
By Bill

2008 Toyota Avalon Sedan Touring 4dr Sedan (3.5L 6cyl 6A)

I bought it used a few weeks ago after much research, thought, and comparisons. I am 59 years old, and have owned many cars. My favorite up to this point was a 1998 Lincoln Continental. I had 90% decided the Avalon Touring was as close as I would ever get to my old continental, so I finally went to try one out. The minute I hit the highway, I knew this was the one. I couldn't be happier after three weeks and 1500 miles. Perfect car for me.

Size and comfort level. I am a big guy. 6-0 245 pounds. Car is fine. The touring model doesn't "float", so the Ride is great. Not sporty, but not "old man" feeling either.

The driver seat could be a little more "cushy" and a little larger.

This is My Last Toyota
By DaytonaSmith

2008 Toyota Avalon Sedan Limited 4dr Sedan (3.5L 6cyl 6A)

The Avalon XLS I bought in 1998 now has 180,000 miles and is going strong. I hoped to repeat this performance with my new 2008 Avalon Limited. The Toyota quality is just no longer there. Problems include road noise, whining and jerking transmission, seats uncomfortable and squeaking, GPS is totally worthless, paint quality is horrible, rear sunshade activates for no reason, console is obtrusive, limited visibility for backing, and much more. I would advise avoiding Toyota until they return to building great cars like those of ten years ago.

nice wheel styling

Completely replace the GPS, better paint job, restyle windows for visibility, more attention to poor electronics, better transmission, more comfortable seats