Used 2008 Toyota Avalon Consumer Reviews - 106 Car Reviews | Edmunds

Consumer Reviews

2008 Toyota Avalon

View reviews for a specific Avalon model:

not a caddy ,please
By haybailer

2008 Toyota Avalon Touring 4dr Sedan (3.5L 6cyl 6A)

The touring is a low rider, street driver with low profile tires and a sport tuned ride. It rides like my 2000 4matic although the Avalon is fwd, Taller strut towers and low profile, so I'm told so far. Tire bite good in snow, Nokians. But ,I'm trying to soften the ride this summer threw after market seek. Softer struts. These cars are fine for the money.

24 mpg on reg, quite even with snow tires. good value.

Leg room for the drivers. May be upwards for long legged people or center counsels really are too wide in a lot of cars.

Great Technology & Huge Interior
By drews

2008 Toyota Avalon Limited 4dr Sedan (3.5L 6cyl 6A)

My Avalon XLS Limited has bee excellent. The technology and space really set it apart. I have been averaging about 27 mpg. Love the adaptive cruise control and audio system. Air Conditioned seats are awesome in the South. I have not had one problem with the car although it is being recalled for the acceleration. The care feels like a limousine. Passengers are very comfortable. The car is VERY quiet. My only problems are that the GPS is clunky to use and I hate the covers over the audio and pop out nav stuff (can you say cheesy).

Adaptive Cruise Control, Sound System, Unbelievable space

GPS is very hard to use. All of the covers around audio and GPS features are cheesy

What Is Up?
By JD

2008 Toyota Avalon Limited 4dr Sedan (3.5L 6cyl 6A)

I have had this car for 15 months. It is my first and last Toyota. I have been driving a Cadillac for a few years and tried something different. It is different allright but not good. In snow and ice this thing is dangerous. My FWD Caddy with traction and stabilitrack was great. This Toyota is a white knuckler,it must not snow in Japan! The seats in this car are a joke! I cannot get comfortable no matter how I adjust- I think they are too short. The GPS is so hard to use that I don't try anymore. I had it in my old car it was EZ. I like to take care of my cars and the paint on this car is junk. You cannot get a blk. car to shine? The dash rattles, my sunroof rattles and it drives me crazy.

Electronics other than GPS. The look of the dash. MPG acceptable

Redesign seats- new GPS better paint - some sort of Traction control system that works better fit and finish in the interior.

Stinks in the snow
By Yoda Mark

2008 Toyota Avalon Limited 4dr Sedan (3.5L 6cyl 6A)

I have 2008 Avalon Limited. I have Blizzak snow tires on it but this car totally stinks in the snow. The traction control prevents me from applying torque to the drive wheels when going up a hill. I live in NE Ohio and this just stinks. Other than that I love this car as it is very comfortable, but this is my second winter with this car and I have had enough of this nonsense in the snow. The situation is quite dangerous. Would be OK if it had a switch to disable traction control like in my 04' Sienna. I will probably get rid of the Avalon for this reason - I should have bought an AWD car. I would not recommend this car for this reason.

DANGEROUS in even a lite snow
By JIM

2008 Toyota Avalon XLS 4dr Sedan (3.5L 6cyl 6A)

Mpg has dropped 10 mpgs, and even in a dusting of snow once a wheel spins the computer takes over and gets no power to the wheels, yes I repeat no power to the wheels. You can hold the gas to the floor and the engine will not go above an idle and the transmission goes into neutral on its own.... junk.

big trunk

GET RID OF AUTOMATIC TRACTION & STABILITY CONTROL, sunroof rattles, dash rattles and front seat-bottoms are too short