Used 2006 Toyota Avalon Consumer Reviews - 373 Car Reviews | Edmunds

Consumer Reviews

2006 Toyota Avalon

View reviews for a specific Avalon model:

LOST OIL, No indicator light came on
By Kmberly Roberson

2006 Toyota Avalon Touring 4dr Sedan (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

I was very confident with my Toyota. Loved it and was so pleased that it was one of the best made. Then I drove home from work with only 36,077 miles on the car and left a trail of oil down my drive way, then oil ran out all over my drive way as the rubber hose oil line had burst. I had it towed in to the Toyota dealer and of course the warranty covered it as I had purchased an extended warranty. I am now not confident with the reliability of my car.

Love the roomy interior, very beautiful. Good looking car from inside out. Drives wonderful.

This is such a beautiful car so Toyota please Re-CALL this oil problem and the indicator light that never comes on to let you know you have a oil problem. For Toyota's reliability to stay, this needs RE-CALLED!!!!

Let Down
By TD

2006 Toyota Avalon Limited 4dr Sedan (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

This is my sixth Toyota and the reliability is very uncharacteristic compared to all the others. Major oil leak problem twice now makes the car completely unreliable. Also had a leak in the moon roof fixed. Continual problem with acceleration from a stop position corrected intermittently by a "computer reset". I think I'm going to trade it in. Also the car was bumped in a parking lot, in the front right causing only a scuff to the bumper. The whole bumper had to be replaced as it connects to the blinker light wells and the motor splash guard underneath, which both cracked.

Interior comfort, quiet.

Improve overall quality and workmanship.

Would buy another
By zipcode21804

2006 Toyota Avalon XLS 4dr Sedan (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

Traded my 2003 Seville, not disappointed at all. The gas mileage is great on regular gas. Nav system leaves a little to be desired, that message gets on your nerves every time you start the vehicle. Should be easier to program. Sound is good JBL did a fine job although I did a personal upgrade surround sound is a great feature, Cabin is tight noise and rattle free. I bought 3 caddys before I purchased my Avalon. When it comes to comfort, it's a no brainer. Avalon wins; wheels down.

The ride is smooth, the sound system is good for a factory production. Backseat is cool, I like the flat floor as well. Styling is upscale looks good in the driveway.

Bigger tires,door molding.

Loved this car UNTIL... LOST ALL OIL!
By Terry A

2006 Toyota Avalon XL 4dr Sedan (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

I loved my Avalon, but now have lost all confidence in its reliability. On an out of state trip an oil hose developed a pin-hole leak. There was no indicator or light alert. We still have not gotten all repairs done, but will cost min $2500!!! (of course out of warranty with approx 101,000 miles).

The ride, the room, the gas mileage - and I thought the reliability. Alas, not so!

Notification of known problems that can cause so much damage! Also warning indicators if the oil runs low!!!!

Great, but some faults
By eddie g.

2006 Toyota Avalon XL 4dr Sedan (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

Overall our experience has been very good with our 2006 Avalon. The ride has been very smooth and quiet and the pick-up is very good. This may be one of the fastest cars we've owned (with a six).

We love the power driver's seat, the sun-roof, the visibility is great. The interior design is clean, and free of all unnecessary garbage. The fit and finish are top notch.

Brakes are terrible. Feels you must smash pedal to floor to stop. They're undersized. Trans is smooth except first gear where it seems hard to get up to speed. Mileage down- once 30 mpg hwy, now 23.5 at 65 mph. Exterior needs strengthening. Dents easy. Front dips on hard cornering.