Used 2006 Toyota Avalon Consumer Reviews - 373 Car Reviews | Edmunds

Consumer Reviews

2006 Toyota Avalon

View reviews for a specific Avalon model:

Toyota Reliability?
By Thomas Anzalone

2006 Toyota Avalon Touring 4dr Sedan (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

I purchased a Toyota Avalon because I thought I was purchasing a reliable vehicle-this has been anything but the case. At 58000 miles I noticed a trail of oil leading up my driveway. Upon looking under the vehicle I noticed oil pouring out of the engine compartment (oil light never turned on). The vehicles vvt-i oil lines failed and the vehicle needed to be towed to the dealership. Ironically 2 weeks after this happened I received a service campaign notice from Toyota "recalling" the faulty oil lines. Incidentally the oil leak contaminated the alternator resulting in it being needed to be replaced. At 59000 miles the steering shaft began to clunk and now needs to be replaced ($379).

comfort, roominess, acceleration

Reliability. Better fit and finish- numerous rattles throughout vehicle including the sunroof, wheel well, and dashboard. Rubber door guards to prevent dents in door panels.

Best car I ever bought
By AZF

2006 Toyota Avalon Limited 4dr Sedan (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

We had an 05 Buick LaCrosse which was a piece of junk, and traded for on 06 Avalon Limited. The Avalon is the best car I have ever owned. Fit and finish is outstanding, gas mileage is terrific. The ride is smooth and quiet. I have friends that are over 250lbs and they can get in and be comfortable. I had the windows tinted- pin stripped-gold plated the emblems and put chrome wheels on it. People think it is a Lexus. People should test drive the vehicle or take it home overnight, then they would know if they like the car or not. I will buy another Avalon.

Looks good-rides good-is good.

Needs better looking wheels.

Engine Oil Problem
By Mike Herlihy

2006 Toyota Avalon Limited 4dr Sedan (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

AC light began flashing and I smelled burning oil. All of the engine oil had drained. I took it to a dealer who informed me that they needed to replace the oil line. This is a defect with this engine that really needs attention. I would not recommend Toyota or purchase another one since the quality is not there. This is the first time in 35 years of owning and driving cars that I have ever had such a problem.

First Toyota
By Craig

2006 Toyota Avalon Touring 4dr Sedan (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

My first Toyota but I've had numerous Japanese sedans. What separates the Avalon from other Asian performance sedans is that it has 268-280 hp yet takes regular gas and frequently gets more than 20 mpg. That alone is worth considering this car. Numerous reviews commented on what a good car this is but it's not "athletic." I've found the contrary with the Touring edition. The suspension is ideal and is mated nicely with the power of the vehicle. It feels very non-American because there is absolutely no bounce, no matter what kind of surface I'm driving on. Ironic since this is a large luxury sedan that was designed and built in U.S. Make a stick shift option and a less Camry-like exterior.

Power, touring suspension, graphite colored wheels, performance, dark leather available in many diff models, gas mileage for engine size.

Get rid of all the funky doors and cabinets. The stereo cover door is worthless as is the one that covers the cupholders. The JBL Synthesis stereo is not as good as top of the line Bose system I had. Web site makes it out the be best factory system ever. It's good, not great. More unique exterior.

Concerned
By Sal A

2006 Toyota Avalon Limited 4dr Sedan (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

3 yrs old w/ 60k and maintained by the dealer. At 55k miles had the oil leak others mention. Originally 31mpg, now 25. The steering sometimes sticks when making a left turn and accelerating from a standing start. Keyless entry on the driver's door is failing 50% of the time. Cooling feature of driver's eat no longer works. Transmission taking longer to shift (will it make 100k?).

Tons of room inside. Very quiet interior. Smooths out all the bumps on the road.

The quality is not what i expected from Toyota. Improve the GPS or lose it. A place for change in the center console would be nice.