Used 2005 Toyota Avalon Consumer Reviews - 283 Car Reviews | Edmunds

Consumer Reviews

2005 Toyota Avalon

View reviews for a specific Avalon model:

Questionable
By kydna

2005 Toyota Avalon Limited 4dr Sedan (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

Car has had no major problems. Time is showing quality issues. Paint chips very easy. Interior headliner needs replaced. Radio door cover opens 40% of the time. Control panel door for nav. falling off! With just over 30,000 miles not the quality I would expect from Toyota! I will return to MB!

Climate seats, room for 5.

Building cars with the quality Toyota claims. Paint quality, interior parts build quality.

Excellent
By Raj

2005 Toyota Avalon XLS 4dr Sedan (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

I've been driving my Avalon XLS for past 4 yrs. Already put 95,00 miles on it. It drives more than a Lexus,280 HP - decent power and great fuel efficiency (I've got once close 32 mpg).

Power and Fuel Efficiency

I had to replace bulbs on both Head Lamps twice last year and the plastic cover on the stereo.

Ultimate reliability
By Kevin McLean

2005 Toyota Avalon Touring 4dr Sedan (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

Coming up on 137,000 miles on my Avalon touring edition 2005, the car had zero problems. Of course I have changed the front brakes out once, and tires rotated/changed once. This car has been a sigh of relief in having the confidence this car will not break down. I realize that no car will not run into problems with regular maintenance performed. But, so far this is the most reliable car I have ever purchased. In one year alone I put up 55,000 miles on my Avalon with only a battery change. If you're in outside sales, having to keep every appointment, this is the car for you. Luxury & reliability, this Avalon will be the last car I will ever have to purchase.

Comfort, body style, reliability, gas mileage.

All wheel drive hybrid.

80,000 miles and still lovin it
By Kim

2005 Toyota Avalon XLS 4dr Sedan (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

This is the 6th Toyota I have purchased new and love it just as much as the day we brought it home. There have been no major mechanical issues. We recently had a new computer update put in for the jerky transmission. That problem is gone now. Take note if you still have warranty get your dealership to install the update. Love the gas mileage average 27 mpg & have had it up to 35 on expressway road trips. The motor has had a tick in it since day one (sounds a bit like an old Mercedes diesel, not as loud) but it doesn't seem to be having any issues. New brakes & rotors @ 60,000,and it seems like the muffler may be getting ready to be replaced. Have done all maintenance as scheduled. LOVE IT LOVE IT!

Auto Dimming mirrors, heated seats, and adjustable sliding armrest

The Avalon should be offered without a sunroof on all trim levels. Steering wheel tilt/telescope adjustments are not very user friendly. Cup holders in back armrest are not secure. Better garment hook arrangement would be nice.

Greatest car from Toyota.
By Steven

2005 Toyota Avalon Limited 4dr Sedan (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

After buying in 2001 a series 5 BMW by 2005 I had had it with this German maker and its pieces of junk cars that let me stranded 4 times and had me dry on repairs. (My brother warned me but I wanted the Beemer... what an idiot I was for not listening). I need something luxurious and reliable and it was not hard to decided among an Avalon an Infinity, and a Lexus LS when I checked the options, size, cost of ownership, features and the styling. Almost 4 years later and never a problem (except for the rear sunshade) this Avalon has been the best car I have owned so far. It is a well designed big car. In the back has a flat floor, seats that recline and plenty of room for teenagers and adults.

I love the clean lines inside. The covers on the stereo and navigation makes the car look beautiful, smart cruise control, heated and ventilated seats, amazing stereo system. Navigation system, size and fuel consumption. The acceleration is superb - plenty of power going up hill. Very reliable.

More sportier and visually striking style to appeal not only to the old crowd but people like me in their 40's that want to remain loyal to the brand. Add a massager to the seats and I'm sold to buy a new one again. Since asking is free why not add a couple of TV's for the teenagers in the back.