Used 2005 Toyota Avalon Consumer Reviews - 284 Car Reviews | Edmunds

Consumer Reviews

2005 Toyota Avalon

View reviews for a specific Avalon model:

Toyota does it again
By cvg

2005 Toyota Avalon Limited 4dr Sedan (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

Had to wait 60 days for the Limited Blue Mirage color. I think things are starting to loosen up after the initial backlog. Coming from a BMW 7 series intro in 2002, I was concerned that the new Avalon would have many glitches in a new model release. That has not happened at all and after 2 months of driving the car has been perfect. Fit and finish have been outstanding. The factory installed XM satellite radio has been wonderful with the trunk mounted antenna, an unfortunate afterthought and not well integrated into the design. It's a little cumbersome to get outside air temp. Should be visible at all times. Stereo great and car really quiet to drive. I think it has more features than Lexus.

Dynamic cruise control very useful. Built in XM Radio great and the JBL radio outstanding. GPS system easy to use. The ability to use the car without a key fob in hand wonderful.

Better location of XM antenna. Outside air temp should be visible at all times like the compass.

Very Poor NVH!!!
By Marty

2005 Toyota Avalon Touring 4dr Sedan (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

The Touring is very Boomy (pressure on ears). Every slight road input results in Boom! Hurts my ears. Road Noise at highway speeds is atrocious. Tire slap is continuous and very annoying. For a $30k+ vehicle, I am very disappointed. Please test drive the car extensively before buying. I should have too, except I put too much faith in Toyota. Very cheap sideview mirrors (not even fold-away!). Big gaps between trunk lid and doors, and the body: very un-Toyota like.

powertrain and JBL sound system.

Retune suspension and/or body to get rid of Boom! Road noise needs to be improved a lot. Tire Slap with Michelins? Give me a break!

New Avalon
By jeff McCollum

2005 Toyota Avalon Limited 4dr Sedan (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

It is about time that Toyota kept a luxury car instead of giving it to Lexus. This is the finest car in its class. Plenty of horse power(280) gives this car ample pickup and top line speed. This car is extremely solid, and very quiet on the road. Inside is very roomy and large. I am over 6 feet tall and there is plenty of leg room and head room.This car is as nice as the Audi A6, and the Infiniti M35, but is $10,000 cheaper.

Ventilated seats, voice activated radio, and G.P.S. Excellent handling.

Ventilated back seats, needs back up camera on G.P.S.

Problem with my Avalon?
By Pat G.

2005 Toyota Avalon XLS 4dr Sedan (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

We bought our 2005 Toyota Avalon XL in May and were very satisfied with it but now I am beginning to have second thoughts. It has less than 3000 miles on it now. I made a 200 mile round trip in July and it made 31 mpg. Great!! I really bragged it up. But two weeks ago I made the same trip but on a breezy day and temps in the 90-100 degree range. This time it made 25 mpg as well as downshifted on slight inclines. Yesterday I had to make the same trip under nearly the same hot/breezy conditions and it made 25 again and had the same problems with downshifting on the slightest of inclines. The dealer tells us that Toyota is having problems with Avalons fuel mileage in hot weather. ??????

Spaciousness in back seat area. Styling of the Avalon.

rear view mirror with compass digital speedometer

Great car!
By Debbie

2005 Toyota Avalon XLS 4dr Sedan (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

I had previously owned 2 Toyotas but most recently had a 1990 BMW 525i. I enjoyed my BMW for 12 years. However, I'm very impressed with the Avalon. I did plenty of research and probably knew as much about the car as the salesman. It's everything I had read about...comfortable, roomy, plush...It drives well on the open road. I'd never had automatic doors, a cup holder, leather, CD changer. So I'm in heaven. Great value for the price.

Leather is comfortable, even in our hot, summer weather. Love the large print on the dash display (I don't have the navigator). The new 2005 body style is what finally got me in to look at this car.

None at this time....