Used 2004 Toyota Avalon Consumer Reviews - 114 Car Reviews | Edmunds

Consumer Reviews

2004 Toyota Avalon

View reviews for a specific Avalon model:

2004 XLS Avalon is a Keeper
By Jim-n-IL

2004 Toyota Avalon XLS 4dr Sedan w/Bucket Seats (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

We bought our XLS at 30k and now have 120k. This car is truly the best bang for the buck on the road of any other. We recently had a screech when starting, and replaced starter, didn't fix prob, dealer thought flywheel, turned out to be battery! Features are superb and gas mileage is also. Driving slower (55-60) provides close to 30mpg, above 70 is 28 and less. Onboard computer gives immediate feedback for mpg. Roominess and reliability, not to mention all the options truly make this car a keeper. We recently researched others on this chassis, 00-04 and found several at 250k and up, so that makes us confident. We will keep this one until we get to that point. Why not save your money?!?!

JBL sound is superb, memory seats a dream (except s/b longer for taller drivers). Auto dim/heated mirrors awesome! Auto headlights/wipers/memory seats & power passenger seat all great! As our 1st Toyota, we would definitely buy again.

Our battery was 84 month & died at 48mo, so, replace before you're stranded. Paint, interior plastics could be improved.

Still happy
By Bt Jansen

2004 Toyota Avalon XLS 4dr Sedan w/Bucket Seats (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

Been driving our XLS for about 4 years now. Still very happy. Had an ignition issue where they had to replace the collar. Might have been from AZ heat. Replaced tires at about 55K. In hindsight, would have spent more as you get what you pay for in ride. Cheaper tires not as smooth as stock Michelins. Car is great for long trips. Plenty of power and Lexus like feel to car.

Power. Dependability. Quiet ride.

Body. 2005s and newer look better though.

Top Notch Toyota
By Purdue

2004 Toyota Avalon XL 4dr Sedan w/Bucket Seats (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

Just bought this car certified used as a swap from an 02 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland. A LOT easier, more fun, comfortable to drive than a top line SUV. Rides like a dream even compared to other cars I have tested. Interior is very spacious and elegant. Dash is more recessed than most and feels like there is a ton of room because of it. Classy looking car that is basically a Lexus with the Toyota emblem instead. Great cargo space as I lost nearly nothing from a Jeep to this. First car I have had and enjoying the extra fuel mileage.

Interior overall. It is both comfortable and stylish. Perforations in the leather make hot days enjoyable on leather. Ride is spectacular.

Dash looks a little funky if you are not used to the Toyota line, but it grows on you and I actually prefer it now.

I still love my Avalon
By Mattie

2004 Toyota Avalon XLS 4dr Sedan w/Bucket Seats (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

Purchased my Avalon in June of 2004. I am faithful with oil changes and tire rotation. Have had no problems whatsoever with this car. Inside and outside are still just like new. As comfortable as any car I have ever ridden in. The gas mileage is not as good as the Camry I had before but the comfort of the Avalon makes up for this - especially if you are driving any distance.

Comfort, ease of handling, feeling of security and protection.

None

'04 XLS Review - Fairly good Bang 4 Buck
By Gem-n-I

2004 Toyota Avalon XLS 4dr Sedan w/Bucket Seats (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

I've purchased many cars new and after doing some research found a good priced 04 XLS. Paint is kinda cheap. Seats aren't comfy as could be, I'm 6'3. JBL premium sound, dual pwr seats w/ 2 memry, heated mirr's + auto dim R awesome. Seats lack thigh comfort 4 longer leg folks. Leather cheap. Replaced batry, win motor @ 30k, audio amp at 50k, drift improvement procedure at 55k, otherwise excellent reliability. Now (5/08) @ 100k and still runs like new. Friends/family say good 2go 200k - we'll c. Love using reg. fuel 25 mpg hwy 22 town. Get 28 hwy w/premium, can't justify exorbitant prices even for regular. Would recommend, and buy another 04 or older. Good car!

Awesome radio, photochromic rear view and driver L mirrors, dual pwr seats, regular gas. Reliability has been pretty darn good even tho I had a couple sub-standard parts that should not have needed replacement so quickly. Same lights (except headlights) at 100k.

Avoid cost cutting on seats, leather, win motors. Bring back dual pwr front seats, smaller tires R more inexpensive. Better build quality. Improve paint.