Used 2004 Toyota Avalon Sedan Consumer Reviews - 113 Car Reviews | Edmunds

Consumer Reviews

2004 Toyota Avalon Sedan

View reviews for a specific Avalon model:

Best Car I have owned
By Neese

2004 Toyota Avalon Sedan XLS 4dr Sedan w/Bucket Seats (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

I purchased this car new in 12/04 and have 60,000 miles. Other than oil changes, tires and routine work it has been free of any problems or concerns. I love the smooth ride and comfortable seats with warmers for winter!! This car is by far the most comfortable and easy to drive car I have ever owned.

Comfortable seats, smooth ride, quiet ride, great heating and A/C, and responsive engine. Trouble free car!!

The only thing I don't like is the cup holders. A bottle of water falls to the floor every time. You need a large cup to prevent spills.

Worst car I ever owned
By Juwel

2004 Toyota Avalon Sedan XLS 4dr Sedan w/Bucket Seats (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

Bought the vehicle new at the end of 2004-after a half year shaking and 'unsmooth' operation of the steering. Dealer found no problems. Several alignments and different sets of tires showed some improvement, but still not what you expect from a top of the line Toyota. From approx. 20k on rattling and noises from different interior parts... Now after approximately 50k the crank shaft pulleys broke (another $2k was quoted to fix this issue). In short: I bought this car since I had such positive experience with my 1990 Toyota Pick-up (now over 260k miles) and almost no repairs. However my Avalon is from a different breed: Lots of expensive repairs combined with a minimum of enjoyment.

After having lots of trouble with the vehicle there are not a lots of favorites left.

Please build them in the old Toyota quality! I do not need any fancy features - but a reliable, cost effective car.

Great car.
By E & N Fitzgerald

2004 Toyota Avalon Sedan XLS 4dr Sedan w/Bucket Seats (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

Yes, truly a great car. Perfect, no. Has been perfect for my wife, I have had issues with it however. Noise from the rear end that turned out to be bushings on the rear stabilizer bars. Replaced twice. Recently the battery went and when a new 5 year was installed the computer died, literally. YES, Toyota did warranty the computer! Even after 5.5 years. Would we by another Toyota? Yes, in another 2 or 3 years depending on usage & miles..

Gas mileage, sound system, ride, moon roof, leather bucket seats, safety system, trunk space (great), comfort is great.

Rear sway bar bushings. Heated seat controls should be two (2) levels of control. Dash reading is often a problem when the sun is at your back,cannot always see the panel. Optional 10 disc Cd player.

Best Car Ever
By Joe F.

2004 Toyota Avalon Sedan XLS 4dr Sedan w/Bucket Seats (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

This is the first car I've ever owned for six years and driven for over 60,000 miles, that I can still say drives just as well as the day I bought it. I've had no problems from the beginning and can honestly say it's the best car I've owned in my 46 years of driving. I plan to keep it another 10 years and put at least another 100,000 miles on it.

Ride, handling, roominess, and understated elegance, but especially the dependability and reliability.

Audio controls on the steering wheel.

2004 XLS Avalon is a Keeper
By Jim-n-IL

2004 Toyota Avalon Sedan XLS 4dr Sedan w/Bucket Seats (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

We bought our XLS at 30k and now have 120k. This car is truly the best bang for the buck on the road of any other. We recently had a screech when starting, and replaced starter, didn't fix prob, dealer thought flywheel, turned out to be battery! Features are superb and gas mileage is also. Driving slower (55-60) provides close to 30mpg, above 70 is 28 and less. Onboard computer gives immediate feedback for mpg. Roominess and reliability, not to mention all the options truly make this car a keeper. We recently researched others on this chassis, 00-04 and found several at 250k and up, so that makes us confident. We will keep this one until we get to that point. Why not save your money?!?!

JBL sound is superb, memory seats a dream (except s/b longer for taller drivers). Auto dim/heated mirrors awesome! Auto headlights/wipers/memory seats & power passenger seat all great! As our 1st Toyota, we would definitely buy again.

Our battery was 84 month & died at 48mo, so, replace before you're stranded. Paint, interior plastics could be improved.