Used 2002 Toyota Avalon Sedan Consumer Reviews - 83 Car Reviews | Edmunds

Consumer Reviews

2002 Toyota Avalon Sedan

View reviews for a specific Avalon model:

One of the best cars ever
By Spudo

2002 Toyota Avalon Sedan XLS 4dr Sedan w/Bucket Seats (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

I bought this car when it was 4 years old and already had 114,000 miles on it. It has been a great car, even 50,000 miles later. Runs like new. Love the power, MPG, comfort and reliability. Have had to do normal maintenance, tires, battery, brakes, fluid changes. The only mechanical issue was occasionally the throttle body will get gummed up and the car will start but not idle. Simple fix, remove the idle air regulator and clean it good with a q tip and carb cleaner. Did this myself in about an hour, no problems since. Great gas mileage, will get 31 mpg on flat highway at 55 miles her hour. Closer to 28-29 at 65-70. City around 21. Get the XLS, as it adds all the luxuries such as heated seats.

XLS features- heated leather seats, in dash cd changer, variable skid control, moonroof, climate control. Also love the confident feeling of safety and reliability.

Door handles-one of mine broke right down the middle one damp morning. Plastic handles sort of flimsy when excellent weather seals on the doors stick a little but in the humidity. Also the paint especially on back bumper is very fragile and will chip off easily. MPG computer resets each trip.

Best car I have ever had
By JBS

2002 Toyota Avalon Sedan XLS 4dr Sedan w/Bucket Seats (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

I drive a lot-about 100 miles a day. This is the best car I have ever had and I have 221,000. I have only replaced tires and brakes. I do change the oil regularly and have replaced the battery once. I love this car and even though I am thinking of getting a new one I will miss this one terribly. The ride is so smooth, it handles extremely well, and I have always felt safe in all kinds of weather.

My favorite feature has to be the heated seats. In the winter they are great!! I also like the large display of the clock, miles left in the fuel tank, and the great sound system.

Wish the back seats folded down.

Best Car Ever?
By dave

2002 Toyota Avalon Sedan XLS 4dr Sedan w/Bucket Seats (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

I have the bench seat version which I highly recommend if you want even more space. I have over 134,000 miles on this car and have driven it for almost 6 years. No problems. None. Lucky me but I do take incredible care of this car. I love this car, probably why I take such good care of it. Elegant but for the price it was the best out there. So roomy and quiet and I love the styling. I didn't want to pay the Lexus price, you could say it is the poor man's Lexus but you don't cheat yourself. When Toyota redesigned the Avalon they screwed up big. This car is better than the new models for the price you will pay. Smooth to drive. I will keep this car as long as humanly possible.

Bench seats, shift on the column, roomy interior. Rides great even though corners are not great but I didnt buy it to drive like a sports car. Quiet. Dashboard. Large trunk. Quality. Lunar mist color. Skid Control. Large moonroof. This car will last well beyond 250,000 miles that is my guess.

One review on here said he drove 24000 miles and had to change all 4 breaks shoes. At 90,000 mine were still good according to the dealer but changed them anyway. I baby my car except maybe fast driving on a clear highway. Leather is very good but not great, not disappointed at all.

Awesome Car!
By Dave C

2002 Toyota Avalon Sedan XLS 4dr Sedan w/Bucket Seats (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

I really like this car! It is my first Toyota, but not my last one. I'd buy another Avalon in a heartbeat. I have always been a big car guy and this small car measures up in roominess and comfort. Good gas mileage too.

Roomy interior, nice leather, very nice audio system, quiet ride.

I don't like the access to the fuel tank and the windows could have a darker tint to them.

Can't part with it
By Florida Owner

2002 Toyota Avalon Sedan XLS 4dr Sedan w/Bucket Seats (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

The test drive was the best selling point. I also like the fact that I can use regular gas in a car that drives like a high performance car. The rear seat is as comfortable as the front seat so my visiting family members who are tall appreciate the comfort. The ride is as smooth as glass. Always use the Michelin tires, I tried a cheaper brand and didn't care for the change in handling. Took them off and went back to the Michelins.

Dashboard display is very well placed and well lit. It shows time, temp as well as mileage available on gas reserve. The ride is fabulous.

My only suggestion is the "car bra" should be improved. Metal grommets ate away spots on the beautiful paint on hood.