Used 1999 Toyota Avalon Consumer Reviews - 43 Car Reviews | Edmunds

1999 Toyota Avalon Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Avalon model:

Loved it for 18 years
By Lori

1999 Toyota Avalon XL 4dr Sedan

It's a toyota. Next car will be the same.

A Classic Avalon
By Ella

In love with this car
By Duane

1999 Toyota Avalon XLS 4dr Sedan

I bought my 99 Avalon XLS for $800 with 214,000 miles and put about 15,000 on it in a year and I love it. I have only replaced the front strut mounts (common issue) and front sway bar links and bushings (parts are $48 all together) amongst regular maintenance items. The interior is all leather (door panels and all) and I always keep it clean because it's so good looking clean. It has a soft ride at all speeds, handles incredibly well for having such a soft ride, accelerates pretty strong (1MZFE V6 non-VVT) and the trans is also strong, still shifting like new at 232,000 miles. For entertainment it has the 7 speaker Harman-Motive system. 2 tweeters, 4 mids and 1 8" package tray mounted woofer and I believe all that is also on a factory amp. I upgraded all that with a JVC touch screen, Cerwin-Vega tweeters (I added two in the back), JBL mids, Audio Pipe crossovers, and a Power Acoustik 15" sub on 3200 watts. All easy to install and the car has well laid out audio placement. Cold AC and hot heat with great MPG. The only downside is you will get really attached to it and you won't be able to come up with a good reason to get a new car. Parts are plentiful and very affordable.

Forever friend
By mmars

1999 Toyota Avalon XLS 4dr Sedan

I bought my 1999 Toyota Avalon Platinum XLS in 2006.
It had 99000 miles on it and this did not cause me alarm since I have had a Toyota Camry before.
My Toyota Avalon now has 187,000 miles on it and is still running strong!
I have had to put routine maintenence items, such as brakes, battery, tires, but other than that it is running like the day I bought it.
I am looking at trading it off for something newer, not because I need to, just maybe wanting something newer.
Trouble I am having is when I test drive other vehicles I am comparing it to my Avalon, so far all the "competitors" have lost. Gas mileage is still 24/28 hwy.
Excellent choice and great car!

Smooth ride, leather seats, sunroof, dependability, good gas mileage for V6, low maintenence costs.

Improved body style

Too Reliable?
By 25 yrs Toyota

1999 Toyota Avalon XLS 4dr Sedan

Incredible car! Soft ride, low maintenance, good mileage. Only complaint - after 13 yrs of a gray 86 Camry and 11 yrs of this silver 99 Avalon, I feel the need for a change. Could be midlife issues. I need something bright and irresponsible. But seriously, GREAT CAR! Fits all sizes of people and luggage. Surprisingly good mileage for its size and comfort and I highly recommend it. That's what makes it hard for me to give up.

Space - headroom, legroom, hip room in front and back. Soft ride, good acceleration. Low maintenance cost. Good mpg with non-premium fuel.

A little late for 99 model. As someone else noted, many nice-to-haves didn't technologically exist in 1999. One flaw, corrected I think in 2000 was lack of cup holders and ac/heat vents in back. Serious miss since size of backseat area makes this a prime car for groups not wanting a minivan.