Used 1997 Toyota Avalon Consumer Reviews - 53 Car Reviews | Edmunds

Consumer Reviews

1997 Toyota Avalon

View reviews for a specific Avalon model:

Great car
By Paul

1997 Toyota Avalon XLS 4dr Sedan

This is as nice a car as I ever need to own. The interior is roomy for its size. The ride is very comfortable, though it does not have a European road feel. The engine and transmission are very smooth and quiet. The interior is also quiet. I almost never requires repairs, mostly just routine maintenance.

Smooth engine and transmission. Quiet interior.

Overall, this car does everything right! Could have a slight bit more responsive handling. I wish it were available with a diesel engine.

Excellent value!
By Bert

1997 Toyota Avalon XLS 4dr Sedan

Just purchased for my college daughter - 150K miles - $4,250. Such a solid car. Very quiet, extra roomy, powerful V-6. As others have noted, it has suspension issues, sounds like a bucket of bolts on rough roads. Going in for suspension overhaul next week, should be set for another 100,000 miles. Little to no rust. Love the car! My wife and I own an '02 Avalon, so I was very happy to find a family-owned used one for my kid.

Build quality, quietness, roominess, engine power and smoothness. Moon roof, stereo. Reliability can't be beat.

Suspension issues. Tepid design, definitely has styling that appeals to grandparents.

1997 Toyota Avalons - 2 of them
By Legacy

1997 Toyota Avalon XL 4dr Sedan

I liked my first Avalon so much that I bought another in 2000 and we've put 330,000 miles on the pair. Both are nicked up but they still run fine (2008). In 19 (combined) years of use I've had only ~$3,000 in repairs (other than an accident, tires and oil changes). Cons: Weak in snow. Steerling column leak (both cars - use sealing fluid). Goes through tires too quickly. Toyota's known for quality and reliability and that's exactly what I've experienced. In 2007 I purchased a 1986 Corolla that runs fine. I now need a 4th car and it will be a Toyota. I still feel that I made a solid purchase every time I start up one of my Avalons.

Quality and reliability. Quiet and smooth ride (no noise as others have mentioned). Roomy and comfortable. Good gas mileage.

Variable speed wipers. Improved steering column (leaks). Faux wood trim items on the second Avalon have flaked off.

Original Owner
By carfooey

1997 Toyota Avalon XLS 4dr Sedan

Few mechanical problems until recently. Within last year replaced rear wheel bearings, engine gasket, & alternator. Marginal paint job as it started peeling from around rear view mirrors at <80K miles. Strut noise has been there from day 1 off the lot (dealer made excuses too). Doors sagged quite early on, but work okay. Door remotes still work (!) although the buttons are about shot.

Wonderful interior room. Very comfy. Huge trunk. Decent gas mileage for its class. Leather seats still look good.

Paint quality. Strut quality. Don't include tan flooring with tan seats (can you say dirt?).

97 Toyota Avalon
By Eugene

1997 Toyota Avalon XLS 4dr Sedan

I have been extremely pleased with this vehicle which has required only a minimum of maintenance. Oil and filter changed promptly at each 3,000 miles.

driving economy and comfort

Struts required replacement at approx. 70000 mi.