Used 1997 Toyota Avalon Consumer Reviews - 53 Car Reviews | Edmunds

Consumer Reviews

1997 Toyota Avalon

View reviews for a specific Avalon model:

Over 200K and still strong
By Drew

1997 Toyota Avalon XL 4dr Sedan

My sister bought the car new in 97 and gave it to me last year. Today the car has a little over 200k. Theres no problem with the car except for the front right suspension which makes noise on bumpy roads (mentioned in other reviews).

Very roomy, big gas tank, comfortable.

none!

Over 200K
By Middletown Md

1997 Toyota Avalon XLS 4dr Sedan

I bought this car with 30K miles and now have 220K on it. I also had a steering column leak on this car and my '98 Sienna... dealers wanted to replace column I used a steering fluid with a sealer and never had a problem since. Interior noise is a problem and plastic interior trim pieces coming loose... but those are mostly cosmetic. I will give this car to my son for college and keep for a few more years.

Powerful car with good handling. I have a 40 mi 1-way highway commute and this car has saved my life 2X with good handling, good pickup and good visibility. I also like the roomier interior, rear leg room & larger trunk. I've it up with as much as a pickup can carry (including a moose head).

Too many issues with plastic trim coming loose.

Not so reliable
By tom

1997 Toyota Avalon XLS 4dr Sedan

Owned since new. Many disappointing problems. Very expensive considering the number of amenities. 60k - transmssion leaks. <100k, all steering components had to be replaced. Power steering pump had to be replaced twice. Tire wear is a huge problem! This car wears out tires in 20k miles, even top rated tires.

Outstanding brakes. 1st set lasted 110k miles! Good gas mileage and performance. Strong engine and transmission.

1. This is a joke: cruise cntl light is on ALL the time, even when not engaged. 2. No heated seat option, no heated mirror option, no seat adjust memory, BAD cup holder design. 3. Steering feedback must be better 4. Better reliability

97 Avalon
By jish

1997 Toyota Avalon XL 4dr Sedan

I bought the car used for $3500 in 2006 with 207k miles, and it now has 243k miles. The car has been very reliable for me overall. I have done some preventive maintenance, such as change the original timing belt and water pump at about 220k miles (recommended to be done at 100k miles). The car did develop some squeaky noises in the front suspension, but this was fixed by replacing the strut mounts for about $250 including labor. Also, the front driver's window stopped rolling up and down for about 6 months (luckily it was stuck in the "up" position), but then magically starting working again. Overall, the car has been excellent. I look forward to driving it at least another 100k miles.

LOTS of space. Good handling for a large sedan. Very comfortable. Very reliable.

Better cup holders. Better stereo controls. Owner before me had to replace rack and pinion steering assembly and I had to replace strut mounts, both of which are notoriously bad on this car. If you decide to buy one, make sure seller has fixed these problems, or you will probably have to ($1200).

Wish I wasn't getting rid of mine
By calimama

1997 Toyota Avalon XL 4dr Sedan

I bought this car with 92,000 miles on it several years ago, using it for commercial (livery) use and then driving from Massachusetts to California in it. I now have over 152,000 miles on it. I had to replace brakes/rotors as well as the shocks (which I didn't bother fixing for 4 years, actually), but absolutely trusted this car all the way (no major repairs, just routine stuff). Unfortunately, my husband crashed it recently, and would rather spend $7k on a Honda rather than $3k to fix the Avalon. I'm heartbroken, but we'll still hold on to it in our garage and perhaps fix it later.

Love the engine (strong!!). People would always tell me good things about this car's reliability when they'd see it -and I can attest!! Smooth ride, although the shocks/strut seems to be a recurring problematic theme. VERY roomy all the way around, even with a baby seat in the back.

Kind of a "grandpa" looking car, but who cares it is so reliable you will be as old as a grandpa and still using it!!