Used 1995 Toyota Avalon Consumer Reviews - 47 Car Reviews | Edmunds

Consumer Reviews

1995 Toyota Avalon

View reviews for a specific Avalon model:

206,000 mile Bang for the Buck!
By Seemyad

1995 Toyota Avalon XL 4dr Sedan

What a car! I bought my Avalon used just over 100,000 miles. I have driven through the Rocky Mountains, Montreal Canada, hail, rain, sleet, snow, and perfect weather. I have driven from Fresno CA to Oklahoma City four times in one year. I have driven from Lincoln NE, to Fresno, to Biloxi Mississippi, to Washington DC, Burlington VT, to Montreal, Chicago (in that order). The 6 cylinders offer great response and 30 MPG on the highway. The ride is smooth. The car and trunk are roomy. It even carries a real spare tire! Reliable is an understatement. My dark green paint job looks great too! Great car for the $6500 I paid for it 5 years ago! Need a new O2 censor and my leather seat is worn.

Ride (premium tires make a big difference), response, fuel efficiency, interior space, sun roof, real spare tire, reliability.

Updated rims (I still have the stock rims on my car). Cup holders (I purchased a dual cup holder that sits on the center floor under the dash board. Works great!).

Best Car Ever
By ToyotaAlways

1995 Toyota Avalon XLS 4dr Sedan

We bought our 1995 Avalon brand new and have driven it as our primary vehicle until two weeks ago when we bought a new Camry. We kept the Avalon as a second vehicle. The Avalon has been outstanding with only a couple of problems along the way (a timing belt and a u joint). We had to change brakes pads once, at 133000 miles and I've changed the belts once!! We've spent less than $1,500 in 14 years on fixes, which I think is great. Still gets 31 MPG. We purchased a like new (1994) Mazda B4000 LE pickup (actually a Ranger) at the same time, and it has been a disaster (replaced engine, transmission, 3 starters, etc.). We'll drive the Avalon until the wheels fall off. Oh, still looks new!

Ride, looks, MPG, and reliability

None

Adequate to Good car but not Great
By GotOptions ?

1995 Toyota Avalon XLS 4dr Sedan

Have had this car for 3 years and bought it with 85,000 miles on it and its now at 135k. It drives like a dream on smooth roads but bottoms too early on bumps and potholes. It corners and stops well, but I have had only 12 MPG in the city. I may check into that with mechanics. I am 6 foot 4 and its a full size vehicle with good leg room. Trunk is pretty large, and the interior buttons and functions are easy to use.

Strong AC, good sound system, nice handling, nice large size and roomy, reliable starting, smooth acceleration.

Better rustproofing around windshield, suspension had to be replaced kind of early, exhaust needs consistent materials joints are bad and the mid pipe material but the catalytic converter and muffler are good quality, Better bump and pothole handling without bottoming out would be a good design.

Outstanding oldie
By PeterG

1995 Toyota Avalon XL 4dr Sedan

I bought the car a month ago for 2K, and for an old vehicle it has held very well. I hope that it will continue to give good service. The only thing not working is the stereo and clock. Runs great and is giving me an average of 25 mpg.

Acceleration and comfort!

Love my Avalon
By Linda

1995 Toyota Avalon XLS 4dr Sedan

I bought the Avalon with 14k miles on it through auction and have LOVED it ever since. Now has 215,000 miles on it, gets 26-28 mpg, runs smooth, quiet, and is a classy drive. Passengers like the big back seat, lots of trunk space, carries 6 when needed (bench seat), can't say enough about what a great car this is. I spent a little extra to get really nice sound system installed by Toyota. I use good gas and religiously change oil/filter and have checkups when due. Toyotas are the best and this Avalon is their pearl.

Smooth, comfortable, quiet ride; great gas mileage and reliability; classy.

Wish the back seat could drop down to carry big items. I probably would not have bought a Lexus RX as a second car if had this feature in the Avalon.