Used 2013 Toyota Avalon Hybrid Consumer Reviews - 45 Car Reviews | Edmunds

Consumer Reviews

2013 Toyota Avalon Hybrid

View reviews for a specific Avalon Hybrid model:

Toyota surprised me Completely!
By bimmer18

2013 Toyota Avalon Hybrid XLE Premium 4dr Sedan (2.5L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

Well I have to confess that after driving BMW and Audi for the last 16 years and I still love bimmers. I have taken a real shine to my Toyota Avalon Hybrid. I purchased mine in June 2013 and funny things is I went to the dealership to test drive a Toyota Highlander Hybrid. I had been researching Hybrid vehicles and SUV's for a couple months and was convinced that Toyota had the most robust and reliable Hybrid technology on the market. (True Statement).
I have receivied several compliments on my my avalon and so far, its been quite, efficient, reliable, and pleasant to drive. Very Impressive Toyota!
Buy one and you'll think twice on BMW, Audi, & Lexus. 42.9 so far ! Fantastic !

The Hybrid technology !

I really wanted to Limited but did not want to spend the extra funds for that upgrade. I already had rear view camera and bluetooth. The BIGGEST disappointment are the halogen headlights because this should be STANDARD on whichever trim you decide to buy especially at this price point. *** Toyota Change That Now *** You build excellent automobiles, don't skim on safety requirements. HID lighting is mandatory in this day and time!!!

New to hybrids, bringing the average buyer's age down :)
By blueste

2013 Toyota Avalon Hybrid XLE Touring 4dr Sedan (2.5L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

After considering everything from Passat, to Accord to BMW I ended up with the Avalon Touring Hybrid. I really wanted to get the new Accord Hybrid. However, there were several issues for me…trunk space is horrible, engine revs are hard to get used to, availability and only MSRP available right now. Plus it's a new system and who knows what reliability will be.

Now, on to the Avalon Hybrid…I love it so far. Interior is sharp, hybrid drivetrain is smooth, Toyota has been building hybrids for a long time now so I expect this to be very reliable. I do, however, see them making a switch to Lithium Ion technology in the near future. For now, we have the "tried and true" nickel metal hydride.

Interior, hybrid drivetrain.

Better Nav. and larger screen, but that has always been Toyota's heel. Loved the Limited trim, but didn't want to make the jump in price.

epa mileage ultra conservative
By mizzenman

2013 Toyota Avalon Hybrid Limited 4dr Sedan (2.5L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

Expecting 40 mpg on my third day of ownershio I changed my style of driving to more suit the personality of the car. With three passengers achieved 43+mpg.
Today, travelling rojte 9 NJ achieved 52+ mpg. Frigging amazing as I was travelling with the flow of traffic and at times accelerating beyond the last'pod'.
This is far superior to diesel poqedered vehicles. My comparison is based on driving from New York to Florida in a VW diesel Passat.
So far, totally impressed.
This is the sleeper of the century!!!

The car continues to perform admirably. This is the go to vehicle for highway travel.
I noted many people consider the ride a little harsh. This is my first car or truck that in the last thirty five years I have NOT had to upgrade the suspension with stiffer handling. It delivers great cornering abilities.
The only real compromise is the trunk space which is where they decided to load the batteries. Why not the floor pan I ask?

Great car- crappy nav system
By kslj1234

Here is a problem I never thought about before this car- how good is a near luxury vehicle if the computer runs crapware? I have had my esthetically pleasing and beautifully driving Avalon hybrid for less than a month and have had the nav system replaced, repaired and retuned twice. The Entune idea is a good one but I am convinced it is buggering up the on-board computer. Still not resolved but I am hopeful this can be fixed...

Fantastic Car
By butch74

2013 Toyota Avalon Hybrid Limited 4dr Sedan (2.5L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

I looked at probably 15-20 different vehicles..but i liked the idea of not being held hostage to the price of oil and the fact that this car is a luxury vehicle and gets 40mpg city is just amazing. I bought the full tech limited package..Pretty much same car as Lexus ES Hybrid only around 3k less. To get Toyota Quality/Reliability coupled with 40/39mpg/Luxury trim options, high end tech is just a really deep value...I can't think of a better value in the space. Lincoln MKZ Or Ford may have simliar but how long will it last? How much will maint be? After owning a german car the last 13yrs which was great but had horrible electric/hvac issues such a breath of fresh air to drive a Toyota.

Gas Mileage, Technology, Vented Seats, LED lights

Not really any..Car is just pretty impressive..Most people are very unfamiliar with the new design and do not realize how nice these Avalons are..To add the hybrid and double up your gas mileage in the city for 3k is a long term 15k gain. The total cost of ownership with this hybrid version is really incredible