Look no further if you want a midsize SUV with real off-road capability and rugged sensibility. The 4Runner is nearly the last man standing when it comes to truck-based SUVs. If you don't venture off-road or only deal with snowy pavement, a more modern crossover is a better choice.
While day-to-day commuting isn't the 4Runner's forte, this midsize SUV is thoughtfully designed. Weekend excursions are what this traditional SUV does best thanks to rugged drivetrain hardware and enough ground clearance to deal with tricky off-road situations. Its cargo area is quite versatile, too, especially when equipped with the optional sliding rear cargo deck.
- Serious off-road capability few other competitors can match
- Variety of configurations to suit many buyers and price points
- Versatile cargo area, especially with optional slide out
- Choppy ride quality compared to more modern crossovers
- Standard V6 is not particularly fuel efficient
- Tall step-in height makes for ungraceful entry and exit