Used 2015 Toyota 4Runner SUV Consumer Reviews - 35 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2015 Toyota 4Runner SUV Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific 4Runner model:

Just Purchased Another One
By michaelaclooney

2015 Toyota 4Runner SUV SR5 Premium 4dr SUV 4WD (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

I liked my 2015 so much that I just purchased a new 2018.

2nd 4Runner
By M Andrews

2015 Toyota 4Runner SUV TRD PRO 4dr SUV 4WD (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

Great car drove first one 2011 147000 miles this one 158000 miles. Maintenance was a little high, did every recommended scheduled maintenance item.

4Runner Rock Solid
By Ralph

2015 Toyota 4Runner SUV Limited 4dr SUV 4WD (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

2017 Limited 4X4 is about 8 months old now and no issue's of any kind to report. I opted for the 4X4 Limited at $45,300. I planned to tow a 16' boat and the four wheel drive helps for pulling out of the boat ramp. I also chose the optional 3rd row seat and I'm glad I did because we've loaded up with family and friends on several occasions when no one else's vehicle could fit us all. I'm averaging 20.1 mpg combined city and hwy miles everyday to and from work. One thing I noticed that affects my mpg is when I use the AC in the summertime I go down to about 18.5 mpg. I also selected the remote start on the key fob but it's been pretty useless since it shuts off once you touch the door handle so what I prefer to do for example on hot days is I had the dealer program the key fob to roll down all the windows and sunroof when I press and hold unlock and it helps cool the interior quickly on those hot summer days. The 6.1 screen size is average to good and the Entune Infotainment system is also average to good. The sound system on the Limited is very good and plenty loud. The ride and handling are exceptional and there's no rattling sounds to be heard anywhere. The seats are comfortable on long drives except for the 3rd row seat which I would describe as cramped and more suitable for kids or shorter people. The engine acceleration especially when towing or going uphill is not as responsive as you might want but again thats not the 4Runner's main selling point. I really like that I can take my 4Runner to the boat ramp or out on the town and it performs well and looks really good at either place! This is a great all-around vehicle that so far has performed wonderfully well and I expect to own for many years.

Upgrade!
By Rick

2015 Toyota 4Runner SUV SR5 4dr SUV 4WD (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

I have only owned this truck for a few weeks but so far am impressed with its size, ruggedness and style over my previous Highlander.

2015 Trail, Purchased new in March 2015
By The Annoyed Man

2015 Toyota 4Runner SUV Trail 4dr SUV 4WD (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

ABOUT 4WD: I spend 99.99% of my time on paved roads, so I seldom have need to access this vehicle's 4WD features. That said, I have used it for off-road/dirt-road driving while hunting, and for driving on snow/ice. I haven't really had to fiddle with any of the various traction controlling features while in 4WD. The Edmunds review above is dead wrong in one respect: it says that both the Trail and Trail Premium models have full-time 4WD. That just not true. My trail spends most of its time in normal 2WD at the rear wheels. It has a 4WD shifter with high and low ranges, located next to the automatic transmission shift lever. It has to be manually switched into 4WD mode by use of the 4WD shifter. You can shift on the fly into the 4WD High range so long as your rolling at a reduced speed. Switching into the Low range requires coming to a full stop before pushing the lever into position. The differential and hubs lock automatically. ABOUT FUEL ECONOMY: Actual mileage for me has varied from as high as 24 mpg (rarely) while on extended road trips on the interstate, to 10 mpg while pulling a travel trailer with a GVRW of 3,850 lbs. I average between 15 and 17 mpg of mostly suburban street driving around town. ABOUT TOWING CAPACITY: The 4Runner may have a towing rating of 4,700 lbs, but I can tell you that towing 3,850 lbs at high speeds makes the engine feel a bit anemic, the transmission spends a lot of time shifting around, and highway speeds are seldom ever spent above 4th gear, let alone overdrive. This was on a trip from the DFW area to Los Angeles and back, so it covered everything from hills and mountains to long straight desert stretches. ABOUT HANDLING: My previous vehicle was a 2002 Nissan Pathfinder SE 4WD. The 4Runner Trail is a slightly bigger vehicle, and it drives like one. It's a little more ponderous in slower corners, and not quite as confidence inspiring in faster corners. In highway driving, I am not aware of the "business" that Edmunds noted in their review. At straight line highway speeds, the 4Runner seems stable and planted. If you mash the gas pedal, the 4Runner is capable of brisk acceleration, which will reward you with poor mileage if practiced too often. I use and monitor the in-dash fuel economy features to help me improve my mileage figures. A HANDLING CAUTION: Braking is good for an SUV of this size and weight, but I'll throw in a cautionary note..... several times I have been surprised by the anti-lock system engaging while braking, for no apparent reason, over clean pavement, without intending to execute a panic stop. I am not a habitual "late-braker", but this bug has led me to modify my driving accordingly by getting out of the gas sooner than I otherwise would, letting the vehicle coast down, and applying my brakes sooner and more gently than I am used to having to do. This is the only vehicle I've ever had that problem with. My wife currently drives a 2015 Jeep Cherokee Trailhawk Edition, also purchased new in 2015, and her vehicle does not exhibit this trait, despite having many of the same features as my 4Runner. When my anti-lock system has kicked in like that, the 4Runner has hauled itself down PDQ, while tracking straight, but it worries me that if someone is tailgating me when this happens, that I might get rear-ended. ABOUT COMFORT AND INTERIOR: The front seats are comfortable and have enough adjustment range to fit all sizes. The driver's seat has adjustable lower lumbar support. The dash layout is easy to understand and is traditionally laid out. Everything is a little more spartan than in my wife's Cherokee - more "truck-like" compared to the Cherokee's "car-like". I test drove the Grand Cherokee before buying the 4Runner and Edmunds is correct that the Grand Cherokee, for all of its creature comforts, has nowhere near the interior room of the 4Runner. I prefer the Jeep's "UConnect" compared to which the Toyota's "Entune" interface seems a bit clunky. The Jeep's screen is larger and has better color management than the Toyota's. That said, Entune is a fully functioning suite of apps, and they all seem to work as advertised. My one complaint is that the navigation app's latency between screens is too long, so that entering an address into the app can take longer than it should. But once the information is entered, the app works just fine. OTHER: Almost 2-1/2 years later, the AC still blows nice and cold (a BIG deal here in Texas). The paint is holding up just fine. The tires are still in good shape (but in all fairness, I am retired now and I don't drive nearly as much as I used to). Nothing has broken. Maintenance has been at regular intervals, and thanks to warrantee, I haven't had to pay for an oil change yet. The SUV still looks sharp, and I get a lot of compliments from others about it. Overall, this 4Runner is a keeper, and as little as I drive now and at my current age (65), it is likely the last vehicle I'll ever buy. I love it.