Used 2012 Toyota 4Runner Consumer Reviews - 16 Car Reviews | Edmunds

View reviews for a specific 4Runner model:

Got What I Expected...
By eglzfan

2012 Toyota 4Runner SR5 4dr SUV 4WD (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

Purchased a 2012 4Runner 6 months ago. After 10K mi. the vehicle still performs as it did on day 1. The 4L engine is the largest V6 available in a mid sized SUV. Fuel mileage avgs 19-20 mpg with the best at 23 on longer road trips.
If you actually test drive this SUV you will notice a stiff ride, similar to that of a truck...that's what I like about it.
Ample storage space satisfies the needs of our family and all our stuff. Dashboard electronics work as expected and nav system got me up north without a problem.
Biggest complaint would be lack of headroom. At 6' I'm at the upper limit without hitting my head on the roof. Compared to similar SUVs out there this is a great buy.

Exterior appearance is a perfect combination of rugged road off looks with a touch of luxury urban cruiser. Shift on the fly 4WD is smooth and allows ME to be in control of when the vehicle goes into all wheel drive mode.

2 inches of increased headroom would open up a whole new market for this vehicle. Seat adjustment memory for 2 seperate drivers. Clear paint protective film at front 8-10 inches as standard.

Not as good-fun as my 2008 4Runner
By magluk

2012 Toyota 4Runner SR5 4dr SUV 4WD (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

Like all new cars it's nice but not as good as my 2008 SE model. This SUV is way over priced and under equipped (no mud flaps, running boars, gate assist) poor plastic and cloth inside. It seems under powered and under developed. If it's your first Toyota you will be happy for a year or so but like me this is my third Toyota. The quality has gone down hill and price has gone uphill. I wanted to buy a 2012-2013 4Runner for my wife but it's not family friendly SUV. The jeeps looks nice and so does Honda Pilot. It will be a hard and tough choice but it's wont be Toyota this time around.

I like the body style of the SR5 and Trail and I like the hidden rear wiper.

Toyota and Toyota dealers if you are bold to charge 38+K for SR5 or 45+K for Limited then I will suggest that you put in mud flaps, running boars, gate assist like on Venza, Sienna, Sequoia. Take out the ugly pointy antenna and do like you did it on 2003-2009 models. Make the car stronger the engine seems worse then my 08 model. Make a better product or stop charging so much!!

Poor Over Road Ride
By dmacri

2012 Toyota 4Runner Limited 4dr SUV 4WD (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

I just purchased a New 2012 4runner Limited. I purchased the Limited over the SR5 because it was supposedly smoother riding. The vehicle pulses through the steering wheel at all speeds. I spoke to Toyota and had it back to the dealership twice. They both told me that it was a truck and that is the way it rides and I should live with it. I owned 12 new trucks before this and none rode this bad, of course none were a Toyota. I personal feel that it is th 20" wheels and tires that they put on this vehicle. They are hard riding and poor handling. I am limited to 2 tire manufacturers with these wheels so i can not even buy touring tires.

The best thing about this vehichle is the electronics and the radio.

Go back to 17" tires and wheels . Put a remote button to pop up the rear door lid. Replace the plastic engine cover with Aluminum or steel. Get softer seats, they are as har as a rock.

Don't be fooled by the great reviews! I think people don't know any better!
By face6

2012 Toyota 4Runner Limited 4dr SUV 4WD (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

I am very disappointed with this SUV! I purchased my 4 runner in 2011 and have 27,000 miles on it currently. My main issues are as follows: 1) Price to value - MSRP on my limited was $43,000+ in my opinion after owning it and driving it - its really a $33,000 SUV (or should be priced this way.) Very tinny sounding when you slam the door - seems like poor quality, somewhat underpowered, many interior features cheap and plastic, Handles poorly - (See consumer reports negative reviews) - I ignored them when i bought mine. Nav/Bluetooth very antiquated - Nav way behind the times. Bluetooth sound quality when on your phone is poor.
Trunk area - slight tilt
Groceries shift milk falls out/breaks

Strong resale - so i am told, better gas mileage than most ave 17.8

Make better quality product for the money. Upgrade nav - Very expensive ($2500)for what you get. I had a 2006 Acura TL with nav and blue tooth that was way ahead of this. Need to revamp the trunk area - I have the 3rd row model this slight tilt causes grocery's or anything to slide up against the gate so that when you open the gate it all falls out on your feet. Milk explodes, anything glass breaks in your driveway ( spaghetti sauce, my flat screen computer monitor etc) This is what caused me to write this review. Toyota nickel and dimes you. No running board, no mud flaps etc. "cargo nets" everything is an accessory separately purchased.

one of the last old school suvs
By shaftymcgee7

2012 Toyota 4Runner SR5 4dr SUV 4WD (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

had 4runner for almost 4k miles so far and am very impressed overall, averaging about 20 mpg, this is a truck so dont expect it to ride like a car on the pavement but handles off-road very well i live in alaska and our last winter we got over 12ft of snow didnt even notice it with 4runner in 4wd. seats are comfortable and like the driving position and roominess of the cabin and overall has a very old school feel to it with lot of functional new high tech stuff thrown in. my only real gripe with it is poor paint quality scratches easy and no cross bars or running boards included in a 35k vehicle is disapointing, 4runner is built to get you anywhere you need to go anytime..

a-trac, bluetooth hands free calling, roll down rear window, fold flat 2nd row, functional simple controls that work and arent confusing, sun-roof + roll down rear window =awesome in summer

better paint quality with more choices, running boards and cross bars included