Used 2011 Toyota 4Runner SUV Consumer Reviews - 50 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2011 Toyota 4Runner SUV

View reviews for a specific 4Runner model:

love my 4runner!
By havoc1649

2011 Toyota 4Runner SUV Limited 4dr SUV 4WD (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

Complaints: noisy blower fan, a little slow to build up when throttled up, complicated NAV (like all others)

Pros: Everything else is great! Strong motor, smooth in all facets. Love the rear pull out deck for the kid's gear, very comfortable leather seats, awesome in poor winter weather, really just a great all around vehicle.

Blower motor fan noise reduction

First 4Runner
By 78vette1

2011 Toyota 4Runner SUV SR5 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

As this is my first 4Runner, I have been driving Toyotas since 1981. For dependability and reliability they are hard to beat. I wanted to drive the vehicle before I wrote my review so I could give my honest opinion and make a post for others as consumer reviews always help me in my purchasing decisions. I purchased a used 4runner in late December of 2013 with just under 17k miles.
Part II
Quite a few miles later I am back to post a follow up to my fist review. Have been enjoying my 4-Runner for quite some time now and have put on a few additional miles. The ride is good, may be a bit stiff for some folks but considering the SUV is build on a truck chassis, is it smooth. Going off pavement is is not a problem. I don't go places where I need 4 wheel drive but do some fishing so getting off the pavement is easy. The truck makes you feel comfortable driving on grass, dirt, sand etc. and mives through the terrain easily.
The behicle is a 2011 and hasgiven me zero trouble. All I have done is routine oil and filter changes (includes air and cabin filters as well as oil filters) and rotated the tires since I have owned it. I believe this year I will be needing my first battery and new set of brakes. It fits myfamily of four and everyone has plenty of leg and head room.
The dash lights are orange which is not the best Toyota has done. During the daylight hours, it is nearly imopossible to see the clock, mileage gauge and other trip info. All the other gages are directly in front of the driver so no problem with those whatsoever. Radio controls are not bad, well within reach as I do not have steering wheel controls on this vehicle. Brkes are a bit soft compared to the other Toyota vehicles I have owned. Dealer says that's how 4-Runners are so getting used to that took some time. The A/C blows nice and cold but not strong. If you're looking for the fan to propell the cold air from the vents to mKe your hair blow like a strong wind, i won't happen but it cools the vehicle sufficiently. All other operations are typical Toyota, easy to reach and work as they are intended to. Miss my pick-up but really like this SUV and would definitely buy another.

Transmission Shudder from 1st to 2nd upshift
By giuseppeg

2011 Toyota 4Runner SUV SR5 4dr SUV 4WD (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

June 15th, 2012 Toyota released TSB-0089-12 that affects 2010-2012 4Runners and calls for replacement of full transmission. www.toyota-4runner.org/5th-gen-t4rs/89301-has-anyone-noticed-10.html I know I'm covered for 5yr/60k miles power train but I traded it in for $28k (Paid $34k new) after 3 years of ownership for a 2014 Subaru Forester 2.0XT Touring.

-Land Cruiser 150 platform ($20k cheaper than GX460) Great value (only lost $6k in 3 years) -2011 was 100% from Japan -2012 was 90% -Can roll down the trunk window for my dog -17mpg worst 23mpg best 20mpg avg lifetime -Completely fold flat 2nd and 3rd row seats -Bright stock headlights and rectangle DRL -9.6 ground clearance with hill decent control

-Transmission slips ever since day 1 (It's more noticeable at slow speeds with ECO mode on) -Unstable on highway (Trial Limited suspension is much better than SR5. -Huge nose dive during braking (Feels soft and unresponsive) -2006 to 2009 Projector headlights was deleted on 2010 to 2013. 2014 4Runner brought it back. -1GR-FE engine outputs 254hp on regular gas not 270hp with 91 octane. -Impossible to clean rear spoiler window -3rd row seats can only fit little kids -No headroom for me 5'10 especially with sunroof -Useless $600 running board it came with the car -Embarrassing stock antenna sticks out from hood -5 speed auto really needs 6th gear for mpg

huge improvement
By feralcat

2011 Toyota 4Runner SUV Trail 4dr SUV 4WD (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

I refused to buy the previous generation 4Runner because it was too small and wimpy looking.
My 2011 trail edition has been problem-free and has gone through several rough jeep trails without breathing hard.
The size is perfect for us.
The increased horsepower of the V6 is enough for long grades.
I would and will get this again when the lease expires.

Crawl control works great ! Auto trans is very smooth and works great at slowing vehicle on grades and snow. Ground clearance is excellent.

Antenna on right front fender is kind of dumb in this day and age and susceptible to vandalism and damage when washing. Tougher tires should be available for the trail edition for those of us that actually drive off road a few times per year.

Great Car Horrible Tires
By nunnally

2011 Toyota 4Runner SUV Limited 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

I really like this SUV but there is one small problem. THE TIRES ARE NOT AVAILABLE!!!! One of the tires blew out last night after having this car for ONE Week. The dealer told us the tire is not under the bumper to bumper warranty. We would have to purchase a new on if we can find one. The dealership told me that the tire is on national back order. Then they said the last time they had to order one of these Yokohama Geolander 245/60R20 tires it took over 3 months for it to come in. YOU THINK THIS IS SOMETHING TOYOTA WOULD HAVE TO DISCLOSE BEFORE THE SALE!
Toyota really screwed us on this one. Stay away from this car unless you know how to fabricate you own tires.

Toyota- Plan ahead. People will need tires on your vehicle eventually. Engineer this vehicle to accept a tire that is commonly available.