Used 2008 Toyota 4Runner SUV Consumer Reviews - 75 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2008 Toyota 4Runner SUV

View reviews for a specific 4Runner model:

Best Car I have ever owned
By Eric

2008 Toyota 4Runner SUV Limited 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

I have driven this salsa red 4Runner for nearly two years and am delighted with it. I bought it mainly to take down rough forest roads to go camping in Arizona. My circumstances changed when I ended up making a fast trip to Alaska in late winter for a new job, and while the mileage took a dive operating at high speeds, windy conditions, and heavily loaded, it performed flawlessly en route north. It is a striking looking vehicle.

Tight handling, good workmanship, smooth operation and effective transmission.

Dim interior lighting, limited headroom with sunroof, hard to reach electrical outlet. Minor faults for an otherwise outstanding vehicle.

08 Sport 4x4
By PXracer

2008 Toyota 4Runner SUV Sport Edition 4dr SUV 4WD (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

Happy with everything but ergonomics. At 5'9", one would think I would have plenty of headroom. But in fact, with the seat bottomed out I still only have a couple inches of headroom unless I lay the seat back like I'm in a sports car. I worry about this in the event of an accident - I will, for sure, be left permanently wearing the sun visor as a hat. Also, the tilt of the steering wheel needs an additional stop point between the lowest and 1st up position. Again, I am an average build...not sure who Toyota engineers were targeting here.

Exterior looks, engine (V6), Averaging 20mpg, no problems at all (mechanically) at the 40K mile mark.

Hire a Human-Factors Engineer for better ergonomics. Level out the vehicle by raising the front.

4runner sport 4wd
By jdlar53

2008 Toyota 4Runner SUV Sport Edition 4dr SUV 4WD (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

A reliable SUV, it's our third 4 Runner, but our first 4 wd, and we will never get another one. We had alignment issues since the SUV was new, and still have problems with it wanting to drive off the right hand side of the road. It leaks air in all four tires approx 2-3 psi a week. As far as the Tom Tom Nav unit, we are on our 3rd chip replacement, and it still isn't very accurate.

Sport Suspension

A better nav system than the Tom Tom. Tighter steering. This SUV is all over the Road!

Best all around 4wd SUV! 27mpg!
By TK

2008 Toyota 4Runner SUV SR5 4dr SUV 4WD (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

I have owned over 30 cars in the last 11 years-- many lux/sporters as well as 6 SUVs--suburban, 2 mits monteros, suzuki, 2 pilots and a Honda ridgeline too. I had always thought the 4runners were over priced--until I found a used 2008 Toyota certified one owner 45k mile sr5 in Denver for ~$22k. Very impressed with the ergonomic/practical design AND I actually get 22+ mpg in city and 27+mpg on highway!!---puts my Honda pilot and any other full sized SUVs to shame. None better! Now I know why they are so popular.

fit/finish; practical design; excellent mpg-- 22/27mpg actual mileage!; Toyota certified used car program (7yr/100,000 mile warranty)

None I can think of.

Love the 4Runner
By Jimbo

2008 Toyota 4Runner SUV Limited 4dr SUV 4WD (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

I picked the 4Runner after a years research. The ride with the Xreas suspension is very good. I receive many compliments on the color (Salsa Red) and the looks of the vehicle. This is my second Toyota. I got my wife a 2004 Camry V6 Limited and she loves it.

Love the rear window, tie down rings, MP3 input, sun roof, fold down seats.

The Roof Rack cross bars are difficult to move.